DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quick question before updating system

Before I do a clean install of 10.3, I'm wondering...will my internet connection settings transfer automatically? Or will I have to reconnect?

I've lost the password...so I'll have to contact my ISP if it doesn't transfer.

One other question...I've been using 10.1.5 that didn't have a calendar or decent address book. Will I be able to tranfer data from my Entourage calendar and address book into the Mac equivalents? Should I do an export to text...or are they set up to do the import?

Thanks!
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey Tex,

As with any major hardware/software upgrade/modification back-up as much as possible. Export favourites/bookmarks, e-mail address books, etc, as well as backing up personal files.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #3
Warden

John, you want to do an archive and clean install. There is a box to check that will move all of your network settings, keychains etc. to the new OS. Look for a button that says options when you boot off the install disks. You'll be good to go.

You can move them yourself or if it's the Mac address book it will import as part of the OS install. Your old system will still be on your drive until you delete it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:21 AM   #4

Success!

Panther is installed and what a great jump from 10.1.5! Finally...Safari, iChat, iCalendar...improved Mail and Address Book.

Jeff, my bookmarks were easily imported from IE to Safari, but I'm not having as much luck with my Entourage address book contacts.

Entourage only exports as a text file. Address Book "grey's out" the text file and won't allow you to select it. It only imports vCards and LDIF format, whatever that is. Anyone know if someone has worked out a small app for getting around this?
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #5
Warden

Do a key word search at Version Track, I seem to recall one.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:30 AM   #6

There was a program there called "MultideX" that allowed me to export all the contacts in Entourage as individual vCards. Once that was done, I could import them into Address Book.

That's a relief...problem is that now they have to be manually grouped again. Oh well, that'll give me a good excuse to cull out old addresses.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #7
Warden

You might look at the Apple web site in the switchers section. I seem to recall a way to do it more seamlessly, but it could be my imagination. You might need a v-card program from version tracker

Old November 19th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #8

Thanks, Jeff. I'll check it out. Still have to figure out how to transfer "Notes" from Entourage, so I'll check there.

One last question, Jeff...which NotePad program do you recommend? I just now went to VersionTracker and have downloaded several of them, but they're all lacking quite a bit even though they have high ratings. Have you come across one that is full-featured that you like?
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #9
Warden

I like Oh Notes as a small, sticky type note taker. For full scale note taking I use Omni Outliner. Oh Notes is freeware and was just updated the beginning of the month.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite