DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 28th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No ext video

fcp3,g4 twin processor, xl1s connected. Ext video set to All frames, and have run verify all ok. plenty of room on disk. Rebooted.
All works ok in os9 and has worked in os10 up to date but now!!

When I go to play sequence, it plays ok on Canvas on computer screen but Ext video screen stays on first frame, (the scrubber also moves jerkily along the timeline). Clips in Viewer play ok on the same ext monitor.
Printing to video etc only records the first frame of the sequence .

Any suggestions pls?
Rick Banfield
Rick Banfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:00 AM   #2

Did you upgrade to QuickTime 4.1 as this has cropped as a big time culprit in FCP.

Apple even has posted a fix for this.

Please let me know what updates that you have installed lately also do you allow Apple to update automatically or do you choose when and where you want it?
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Tom,
I have updated to Quicktime Player Version 6.3,Player Version 6.3 but I think it has worked since then. (Just the Quicktime that came with the computer, not pro.
I also took the updates from the apple site for the DVD burner that needed doing for certain burners. Again I am sure it has worked since then.
Rick
Old November 28th, 2003, 03:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Tom,
Have tried diff camera same result, and disconnected second screen, and ext ice disk.
I also notice that the ext video screen keeps the same image (first clip, first frame) when you play a whole seq in timeline, but if you use arrow up to each clip in the timeline it plays the first frame, and sticks on it.
Old November 28th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #5
Wrangler

There are two very simple issues that I know of which can cause this behavior. First, click on the drop down button at the top center of the canvas window and select fit to window. If you set the view to 100% for some reason external video will often stop working.

The other basic thing which I've noticed is that if you leave the capture window open then external video will not play. This can bite you if the window is hidden under another one. Haven't checked, but it may also be a problem if you've minimized the capture window.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #6

When you export do you go to the menu and choose "Print to Video"?

Do you have the FireWire setting set to non-controllable device?

Does the tape play well on your camera yet on import does not?

When you have captured it have you gone to the source being the QuickTime movie you captured and launch this and play it back to see if it’s jerking there?
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #7
Warden

FCP requires the Pro version of QT. What OS and FCP version are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #8

<<fcp3,g4 twin processor, xl1s connected>>

Said he has this however QT Pro does come with FCP3 whereas Apple now charges for this.

To find out if you have pro go to Menu while in QuickTime and draw down on "QuickTime Player" then draw down to "Preferences" then go over to "Registration" pop up window will tell you what you have.
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

PRINT TO VIDEO GOOD NEWS

Tom,

I have changed the % to FIT TO WINDOW and all ok!
I can't believe I have wasted so much time on a simple fix. There are people on other user group sites who are tearing their hair out also, and this probably all the problem is. It was the only thing that I didn't notice that the canvas differed to the viewer.
I thank you again.
Rick Banfield
Old November 28th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #10
Warden

Many times a search of the archives will hold the answer. Boyd, myself and others have posted this solution in the past.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #11
Wrangler

Glad to help. Yes, this is a little tidbit that I have dispensed quite a number of times. A couple years ago I spent many frustrating hours trying to figure out why my external video wasn't working until some helpful person on an Apple message board suggested this solution. I don't know why Apple doesn't fix this "feature", which I understand still exists in FCP4.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite