DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to import XML files into FCP?

I am trying to import some temporary voiceover recorded in Audacity. They are XML files; that's the only format Audacity exports in. When I import it it asks for the translation file. I have no idea what that means, but when I click on every file I was given, they all say no translation template found.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

BO'B

p.s. is there no basic voice recorder utilizing the onboard mic on the Macbook Pro? Seems like something that would come standard but I'll be damed if I can locate it and I'd rather not hassle with garage band (a program I've never even opened) if I can help it.
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think that you have a wrong idea of exporting here. XML files text files (eXtended Markup Language) often used for a preferences file. Audacity will save recording as MP3 or whatever. If you can play the files in Audacity you will be able import these MP3s into FCP.

Garageband _is_ the simple voice recorder for the MBP just Google on 'garageband voice over'. If you don't like that program then you have already found the best alternative in Audacity.

Cheers

Nigel
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett OBourke View Post
They are XML files; that's the only format Audacity exports in.
That is completely wrong. Audacity can export as AIFF (the correct version for working with FCP, BTW), MP3 or Ogg Vorbis.

XML is a plain text file using a specific mark-up language, not an audio format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett OBourke View Post
p.s. is there no basic voice recorder utilizing the onboard mic on the Macbook Pro? Seems like something that would come standard but I'll be damed if I can locate it
Final Cut Pro has a Voice Over tool. Check the FCP User Manual (pages III-137–III-152, IV-478) for details.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks all. I talked to a friend last night who said, "uh, why don't you just use the voice over tool in FCP," which of course is the smart, simple solution. (This is why I prefer to stick to producing and directing and leaving the edits to the pros.) I feel like a bonehead, but I have learned.

Thanks again though for the replies.

best.

B
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Version 5-to-6 FCP Project File Interchange

I tried exporting a project as XML (all four aif flavours) from FCP version 6 and importing into version 5 and it asks for a Translation File. I was unable to find discussion of this topic here nor relevant mention of the translation file - sorry if i searched the wrong thread or just missed some good info. Sure seems like a common issue: moving a project (or at least a timeline) between the two most recent versions of FCP!
Likewise, I'd also like to share my FCP projects with people using Premier Pro CS4.
Thanks in advance, - eric
Eric Mayrand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite