DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1
New Boot

How can I achieve this look?

Starting from around 150 seconds in or so basically the whole part thats not just cool graphics. btw I have access to most cs4 stuff, final cut studio 2 and shake. Also, whenever I do this optical flow retiming it dosent look as good as in this video. It has a few slow motion clips closer to the end. thanks.

link: "The Spot" Kelowna B.C. -- By Matthew Gorveatte Video - Pinkbike.com
Keegan Quiroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Tourist

you should try Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Looks 1.2
Esteban Garcia Carreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Welcome to the forums, Keegan.

If you have access to all those tools then you have everything you need to reproduce any look you can come up with. The RG software simply automates what you'd have to do manually in color-correction and filters.

Optical flow doesn't really do that great a job unless you have massive processing power and can boost settings that would clean up the final result. Unfortunately the O.F. filter/plug-in takes excessively long to render. And alternative - albeit pricey - is a plug-in called Twixtor. It does a far better job, is much easier to control and doesn't take as long to render. But as I say, it's costly.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan Quiroz View Post
Starting from around 150 seconds in or so basically the whole part thats not just cool graphics.
You're speaking of the clip where the bike handles are in the foreground and the people in the background? Giving your video the same look is going to entail lots of colour, saturation, and contrast tweaking in something like Apple's Color, Colorista, or something similar.

Quote:
whenever I do this optical flow retiming it dosent look as good as in this video.
Not all clips will be able to achieve similar slo-mo quality. It depends first on the quality of the picture and how much movement there is. In the video you linked, the camera is pretty steady and only the cyclist is in motion (the background does not change). I don't know what your footage is, but just because something works for one piece of footage does not mean it will work for all.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Welcome to the forums, Keegan.

If you have access to all those tools then you have everything you need to reproduce any look you can come up with. The RG software simply automates what you'd have to do manually in color-correction and filters.

Optical flow doesn't really do that great a job unless you have massive processing power and can boost settings that would clean up the final result. Unfortunately the O.F. filter/plug-in takes excessively long to render. And alternative - albeit pricey - is a plug-in called Twixtor. It does a far better job, is much easier to control and doesn't take as long to render. But as I say, it's costly.
Yeah I have a 2 x 2.26 ghz mac pro with 8 gb of ram right now so it's relatively fast but I know what you mean, it takes ages. I'll look into twixtor. thanks
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
You're speaking of the clip where the bike handles are in the foreground and the people in the background? Giving your video the same look is going to entail lots of colour, saturation, and contrast tweaking in something like Apple's Color, Colorista, or something similar.
Yeah I have apple color right now so I'll try it out. I kind of like the film effect where the edges are a little blurred.

Quote:
Not all clips will be able to achieve similar slo-mo quality. It depends first on the quality of the picture and how much movement there is. In the video you linked, the camera is pretty steady and only the cyclist is in motion (the background does not change). I don't know what your footage is, but just because something works for one piece of footage does not mean it will work for all.
Yeah there wouldnt be any movement it would be with a tripod. Would a high shutter speed be appropriate?
Thanks
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Trustee

I'd try messing with some of the presets in Apple Color (comes with Final Cut Studio 2). Check out the Bleach Bypass preset. (I think that's what it's called)

I've never used Optical Flow, but I really like what the guy did with it in that video. I think I'm going to go drop some acid. hehehehe (joke)
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #8
New Boot

uh i just tried using optical flow but the frames kind of look really blended still.

optical flow test on Vimeo
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
uh i just tried using optical flow but the frames kind of look really blended still.
Actually, that looks about what should be expected. It's not magic; don't expect miracles. It's not going to look the same as if you did slow motion "in camera." Look closely at the example you linked in your OP, it has even more blending and morphing artifacts than your test (look at the bike's wheels).
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Actually, that looks about what should be expected. It's not magic; don't expect miracles. It's not going to look the same as if you did slow motion "in camera." Look closely at the example you linked in your OP, it has even more blending and morphing artifacts than your test (look at the bike's wheels).
oh well maybe its not as bad as i thought.
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
oh well maybe its not as bad as i thought.
I would be satisfied with a result like that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite