Sorenson 3 Pro and OS X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 12th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sorenson 3 Pro and OS X

I've been curious about the Sorenson 3 Pro codec and Cleaner, so I went out and got both. Cleaner is pretty cool so far, but I am having trouble installing the Sorenson codec. After I install, it puts a Sorenson 3 Pro extension in the OS 9 extension folder and a Sorenson Video Pro OSX.qtx file in the Library>Quicktime folder for OS X. The Sorenson 3 Pro codec works great when booted into OS 9. But I cannot get it to work at all in OS X. It keeps telling me I have the standard edition and doesn't give me the extra options. The limited troubleshooting from Sorenson just says to keep trying to install it again and again, which I have done.

I am using Quicktime 6.3, by the way. Any ideas?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #2
Warden

Exactly which library are you installing it? There is a library in your User Folder, System Folder and at the top Level of your System OS Drive. Have you rebooted after installing?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It installs itself there. It is in the Library in the top level of the drive. The Quicktime folder in the SYSTEM library folder is not allowed to be modified, and there are no Quicktime folders in the USER library. Yeah, I tried rebooting. Cleaner doesn't recognize it either. Of course Cleaner and Sorenson 3 Pro work great together in OS 9. This is the latest version of the codec and they said the last change made was for panther compatibility, and I still have Jaguar.

I will repair permissions and try again.

EDIT: Permissions didn't help. :(
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #4
Warden

Repair permissions and if that doesn't do it, I would install QT again. Sometimes the order of the install makes a difference.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 13th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Please follow the directions below:

This file " Sorenson Video Pro OSX.qtx" should be in the following folder:

Library/QuickTime/Sorenson Video Pro OSX.qtx

If this located in this folder please do the following.

Open a QuickTime movie:

Go to "File"
Go to "Export" (Dialog box will appear)
Go to the "Export:" and make sure you have "QuickTime Movie" choosen.
To the right click on "Options" (Another window will appear)
Click on "Settings" (Another window appears)
Click on the very top setting and what will appear is an extensive menu to choose from, in here you will find "Sorenson Video 3 Pro"

Have fun
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sharon, I have them in that order, check out the following JPG file:

http://64.233.224.176/webimages/sorenson.jpg

Jeff, I will try reinstalling Quicktime a bit later when I get some time.
Old December 13th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So you found it great. I hope it keeps working fine for you as you never know where to find some of these apps as they place them in odd spots.

I do like the picture that said it all.
Old December 13th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Actually it doesn't work, even though the file is where it is supposed to be (that's why the "Standard Edition" screen was also in that pic). I think I may try to update to Quicktime 6.4, as I do not know how to "reinstall" 6.3.
Old December 13th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #9
Warden

If you do the upgrade to QT 6.4, Apple has the downgrade to 6.3 still on their site. If you check your registration on QT does it indicate that your registered as PRO. If not, that may be the cause of your problem.

Old December 13th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If you are able to just "Export" you have Pro that is not the answer, as he was able to go to the export window and even bring up the Sorenson window as well.

The problem is in the "Sorenson" installation as he showed in the .jpg that it was a "Standard Edition" not "Sorenson Professional" when I go to it I see "Sorenson Professional" on my screen.
Old December 13th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes, I have QT Pro. Can you run FCP without it? Sharon, what version of Sorenson are you using? I have 3.3 Pro.

Like I said, it works great in OS 9. Must be something wrong with the way my Mac OS X is set up.

EDIT:---->Updating to Quicktime 6.4 worked! Thanks all!
Old December 13th, 2003, 10:22 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I am relieved for you; confused I am, as I would have thought that QT 6.4 would have been the last thing to do. As I ponder this solution I will only say I am relieved that you were able to fix it and not have to pay somebody.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite