Quick Question about Apple Cinema Display Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 6th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick Question about Apple Cinema Display Monitors

I am considering purchasing an Apple Cinema Display. Can the fancy Apple monitors be shut off while the computer remains completely awake? I don't mean "display sleep". I mean off. The power button on the monitor seems to power the Mac itself on and off. I don't like using display sleep, as I will turn the monitor on and off when I am ready to do so on my own.

Is this possible without unplugging, or does the design prevent this?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #2
Warden

Sorry, no on and off switch. LCD's are not like conventional CRT's and have much less problems with being left on. LCD's consume less energy, do not suffer from burn in, and do not have phosphors that degrade with age. I know of several large pre-press and post production houses that leave them on 24/7 with no ill effects.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm more concerned about the light beaming out into the room. Very distracting at night.
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #4
Warden

I wondered if that wasn't the issue. I know people that cover the front panel switch with tape or foil to dim the pulsing light. I would guess that a switch could be rigged into the cord, but it would be a custom modification and void the warranty, I'm sure.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

I thought the Cinema Displays didn't work like that and are
completely standalone units?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a Cinema Display connected to my PC and my Mac. With the screen saver set to none (black screen), I have not had a problem with the display staying on at night.

If you are considering purchasing a Cinema Display (highly recommended) be sure to check out Jobs' keynote address today as there are rumors another price drop and change in technology is happening.
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #7
Wrangler

I wonder if you could get some sort of KVM switch and just turn it to an unused port to deactivate the monitor?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #8
Warden

Rob, on a Mac they use the ADC (Apple Display Connector) and in a single cable it carries power, video signal and USB to the monitor from the G5. The 17" and older 22" have front panel buttons to turn power on and off to the system. The newer 23" and 20" have a switch for power that is on the front also (if I remember correctly.) The front panel switch pulses slowly to remind the user that the computer/monitor is only asleep and not off. Some users find this pulsing to be annoying.

Apple Cinema Displays can be hooked up to DVI connectors via an ADC to DVI adapter.

Old January 6th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've had the same Cinema Display on virtually non-stop for the past three years. And I use regular screensavers rather than black screen.

No problems.
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I definitely want a Cinema Display as my current monitor is limited to 1024x768 at anything above 60Hz. I have to have AT LEAST 75hz. But with LCD that shouldn't be an issue. I could set the computer to never sleep but put the display to sleep after, say 15 minutes, but then the display tries to sleep when Final Cut is rendering or I am just sitting there watching a long Quicktime movie, reading a web page forum and not actually moving the mouse.

On a side note, I removed the cover to the dual-optical mirrored drive doors so I could open and close the disc trays when i want to (like when the system hasn't fully booted, etc) and not when the Mac OS says it's OK for me to, and the pulsing light is even worse with it off! I am assuming they are using some sort of xenon bulb in there you can project movies 935mm) with that thing! So I have a piece of black tape covering it. There should be an option in the OS that lets me disable that light! I know the computer's on when I hear the fan.

I am looking at the 20" display. Is it shafty? I have heard that you should only get the top of the line Apple displays because the lower end models are made with crappier parts or something like that. The 20" would be just about perfect for me, but I don't want it if the 23" has noticeably better visuals aside from just being bigger and offering a higher resolution.

The 23" model has "HD" in it's name. Does it double as a high definition television? If not, can I sue Apple for false advertising?
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #11
Wrangler

I have to vent for a second--the rumors of Apple introducing an even larger (30" was what I heard) display at Macworld and price drops on the others kept me from buying the 23" before New Year's , and I could have used the deduction for the 2003 taxes. And then--not a whisper at the keynote address about displays. Darn it. Anyone want to make a deal on their 23" for any reason??!
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #12
Warden

I think what we're seeing is Apple continuing a move towards a more varied product introduction. Products will be released throughout the year and not at specialized events 2 or 3 times a year. I think you'll see new displays, but perhaps not until March or April. We've seen this recently with new models of iBooks, iPods and iMacs introduced at various times unassociated with trade shows or conventions etc.

Old February 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well I got the Apple 20" Cinema Display! So far it is pretty awesome, but the text seems chunky compared to a CRT. Anything I can do about that?
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #14
Warden

What version Mac are you using or do you know what video card your running? Have you looked at the Display Preference Panel in System Preferences? Are you using millions of colors and what resolution are you using? What display profile are you using and have you calibrated the display yet?

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite