FCE will not open! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 11th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Major Player

FCE will not open!

I click on the FCE icon, it asks me to either Check Aain my cam connection or Continue. I Continue, the Viewer and the Tools and Audio Meter appear for 1.5 seconds, then disappear, leaving me with a window that says

"The application Final Cut Express has unexpectedly quit."

This happens every time I try to open it. Just today.
Apart from the audio drift, it was working last night.

Shawn

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm running FCE 1.0.1 and haven't dealt with your situation yet. However, many FCP users report errors and their first remedy is to trash the preference file. Directions on trashing FCP's preference file are here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...CP+preferences. Hopefully that can help you in some way.
The Apple Support Discussions forum (http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...O3.0@.3bbdbd22) is also a good source for solving problems. I've been there many times :).
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #3
Wrangler

Yeah, I've always read that myself and wondered whether it was urban legend :-) At least with FCP 3 I've never seen a situation personally where it was needed, but of course it can't hurt to try. I suppose the other basic thing to try would be a re-install..
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Warden

It does sound like bad preferences. The preference files need to be opened when the program loads. All the various settings, window locations, clips etc. are loaded according to preference files. If trashing the preferences doesn't help, then a reinstall is in order as Boyd suggests.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

I've rebootied
and I've reinstalled.
Trashing Preferences? Alright, I'll look into it (Apple tech too).
Thanks guys.

Shawn

Old January 20th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #6
Major Player

...............Ok!

Please forgive me, I am new to this planet....

This is an update on FCE not opening for me, and a question.

The short of it is that my DV dedicated hard drive does not have OSX installed in it. Without installing it, I can, right now, have all of FCE's "personal" files installed onto the normal Mac HD, and my dedicated "Disk For Video" designated as the Primary Scratch Disk. Someone told me today that this is an ok way to be set up, that the G4 is fast enough for this to be not a problem. I know this person to be quite familiar with G4s, but not hands-on familiar with FCE.
And so I turn to you, O my brethren...

What is the best, or better, or sanest, way to be set up?
Should I install OSX onto the Disk For Video and keep ALL FCE files and projects on ONE HD, or does it matter not in the least?

Your final word here will allow me to get on with my life, so, you know, set me straight, please. I'll be your best friend... :-) :-)
Kindest regards,
Shawn

Old January 20th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #7
Warden

In a word, No. The setup proposed by your friend will actually result in slower operation (possible audio sync problem, dropped frames etc.). Install the applications, FCP, FCE, or any app. to the Application Folder on the System drive. Capture your media to a separate drive. Partitioning the main drive is not the same as two separate drives, but may help if you lack a second physical drive.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Gotcha, thank you, Jeff.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite