DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe Punts Premiere on the Mac; Why?

This has probably been discussed already, but any thoughts why Adobe decided to stop supporting Premiere on the Mac platform?

Is FCP really that much better or more solidly marketed?

Our company has been very loyal to Adobe for years (Illustrator 88 to be exact); why have they forsaken us?

Thanks.

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:49 PM   #2
Trustee

It's hard to beat Apple at its own game and I believe this has to do with two reasons.

First, Apple very aggressively snips off competition by not allowing access to microprocessor architecture. It is very possible that full access was denied to Adobe, resulting in no way that Adobe could produce a competitive tool with competitive performance.

Second, I tried Final Cut 3 at a workshop after being a Premiere user, and I was dismayed at how awful Premiere was in comparison. Now FCP4 is out, and Adobe would just be playing catchup with its Premiere Pro. Hardly seems profitable for them.

I must note I'm primarily a PC person, so my liking FCP over Premiere (which works the same on PCs) was a pretty big thing at the time. Either way it's all moot to me now since I got hooked on Vegas.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

I was a Premiere user on the Mac a couple years ago, and then switched to FCP 3. I completely agree with Imran, there's no comparison. I seriously doubt that many people miss having Premiere on their Macs. It was slow, had an awkward interface, and wasn't all that stable. Good riddance ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite