Question About Fcp4 Academic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Question About Fcp4 Academic

Yesterday, I ordered my G-5 (dual 1.8) and a copy of FCP4. I'm a student, so I took advantage of the academic discount- which saved me about $700 between the machine and the software. Today somebody tells me that because I went with the Academic version I will be unable to take part in the next upgrade.
Considering FCP4 is pretty new, I'm not too worried about this, but I am curious. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this?

Thanks,
Michael Gibbons
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Warden

In the past there have not been academic upgrades for FCP. You can upgrade to a full version of FCP for the difference in price between what you paid and the cost of FCP (at the time of the upgrade). The upgrade to the full version allows you to earn income from your FCP projects. The academic version of FCP's EULA states that the academic version can not be used to produce income.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Major Player

No income eh?

Thanks Jeff

I guess I'll upgrade this summer sometime. Like, if I ever get a paying gig. Unitl then, though, I got it mostly so I could learn how to use it. Can't make any money with until I learn it anyway!
A couple of more questions:
What about using it to edit my own shorts and sending them to festivals?
Is that EULA posted on line somewhere? I didn't see it on the apple site, but maybe I'm not looking right.

Thanks,
Michael
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have upgraded the academic version of FCP since version 2 with no problem hear in Canada.
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:36 AM   #5
Warden

Physically, you can upgrade the Academic version with the full version of FCP. However, the Academic versions EULA does not allow that without an upgrade (via Apple Customer Care) to the full version. The EULA is contained in the software. It is one of the screens that you say yes to when installing the software. If you do not accept the terms of the EULA the software will not load and you can return the software to Apple for a refund.

The EULA may also be contained in the packaging as a separate printed sheet. To the best of my knowledge the EULA is not on Apple's site.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

When I went from version 2 to 3 it was a true upgrade were I had to have the old version installed for the new one to work although when I went from 3 to 4 I did not have to do this. All versions were labeled Academic. Maybe it’s a bit different in Canada then it is in the USA.
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello,

I will be purchasing a commercial version of FCP4 soon to upgrade my FCP 3 Academic.

What I would like to know is, can I accomplish this by simply purchasing the $400 FCP4 Upgrade software (non-academic commercial upgrade version) and installing it over my FCP3 Academic?

Thanks!

-Craig Weinstein
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I suppose most folks will already know this but I'll post it for the sake of newcomers and searches.

I called Apple today and asked if I could use the (commercial) FCP4 Upgrade with my FCP3 Academic. Apple said no-- I would need to buy FCP4 Commercial outright to make the transition legally.

-Craig Weinstein
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #9
Warden

If the version hadn't changed (FCP 3 to FCP 4) I think you could have upgrade to the full version for just the difference between the Academic and Retail version. However, as you pointed out, you'll have to purchase a full retail version.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite