DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Inadequate computer ?

I just got a Canon XH A1s recently. I am learning more about video and enjoying the camera very much. My computer is an iMac 4.1 three years old. It has a 2Ghz Intel core duo processor, 200G hard drive, 500G external hd, 1G of ram. I think my Ram is my biggest limiting factor. This computer worked great for SD, but when I try to capture HDV it bogs down until it practically stops. Until now iMovieHD was all I needed. I am not going into the video business, I just want a computer that will handle the demands of HDV and software that will make me look like a pro even though I'm not. I thought FCP Express was for me but I'm not sure it will work with 24f and 30f frame rates.
Michael DeVoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
New Boot

Hi Michael;

I have a similar setup like yours only I have an HV20, 2.16Ghz Intel C2Duo with 2GB of ram, 250GB HDD and 500GB USB HDD (rather have FW).

I don't know whether FCE will handle 24f or 30f, however I can adequately edit an hour of HDV footage. An hour and a half is pushing it, but still manageable. 2 hours or more is just downright painful to edit. Rendering small sections of the timeline usually take only a minute or two, sometimes up to 5 minutes depending on the applied filters. Most of the videos I make are anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes usually.

I'd have to agree that your ram is most likely the problem, upgrading to 2GB will help. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, but that more than likely helps out as well.

I'm planning on getting a new top of the line iMac sometime late this year or early next year, or hold off a little longer and get a quad core Mac Pro.
Justin Terreberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

More memory will definitely help. As for 24f and FCE, here's a site that may help:
Using Final Cut Express with p24 Content Wally World
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It's definitely the RAM - upgrade and you'll be OK for what you plan to do.
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite