DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 19th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Program for Panning/Zooming on Scanned Still Images

Hey guys--For my documentary I need to be able to do some nice pans and zooms "Ken Burns style" on still images I have scanned into my computer. I am aware that Ken does this by actually shooting the pics, but this is not possible for some of my pictures. Anyway, I was going to do all this in After Effects but it is extremely time consuming. I know there are some programs out there that are specifically designed to do this sort of thing but can't think of them. Can you guys? Thanks!

Peter

P.S. I also need to output this shizzle in 24P as that's what I'm editing in (DVX100 cutting in Avid Xpress Pro).
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Check out "Moving Pictures," Peter, at http://www.stagetools.com/

Wayne
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Wayne, I'll check it out.

Peter
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Time consuming in After Effects? It's funny you should say this as I'm doing the same thing for something I'm currently working on and it's not really time consuming at all if you know what you're doing. It's really not time consuming on the design, nor the render side. I'm not trying to be critical really, just curious as to what is taking you so long?

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Photo to Movie" yet!!! Shame on you, people! Shame on you!

It is the best. Easy to use, supports Widescreen and full frame. Lots o' versatility and cheap! Exports movies so you can use them in Final Cut Pro and if you really want to, iMovie. I also used it to export movies at 24p for something to blend with the DVX100. Works freakin' great. it has a demo mode you shall try, but you will want to buy it. You will also want to give me some cash for absolutely no reason (except that I love cash).
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:12 AM   #6
Warden

I agree with Ted. Photo to Movie even has key frames, very easy to adjust, superb output and very intuitive. So intuitive, in fact, my 10 year old son uses it and then exports it to iMovie.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #7
Air China Pilot

time consuming in Aftereffects?

You set one key. Move down the timeline. Move your object. Set another key. I could have done this almost as fast as writing this sentence.
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Oh my god I will never complain on this forum again. By "time consuming" I mean there must be a faster way to do this, and apparently there is. Yes. It is easy to do this in After Effects. But, there are obviously better solutions out there, and thanks guys for pointing out a couple. Wayne: Moving Pictures seems pretty great, especially the fact that it will work inside Avid...very nice and thanks for the recommendation. Are there any advantages Photo to Movie has over Moving Pictures I should be aware of? Seems the fact that Moving Pictures will operate inside Xpress Pro is pretty tough to beat. Thanks again guys,

Peter
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't know what Moving Pictures is. I don't know what Xpress Pro is. Me not knowing what those programs are should be plenty of reason to go with Photo to Movie instead! Download it. It has a demo mode and you can see for yourself.

PS - You are not to ever complain again! Macs are perfect! :)
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:12 AM   #10
Major Player

Ted--I've been using PhototoMovie and it seems to work fine. I'm going to download the trial of Moving Pictures though and run a little comparison. The program, Avid Xpress Pro, is the DV editing program put out by Avid, the leading NLE software maker for professionals (a little Apple jab, which I can make b/c I love them and love my PB, so please everyone take this in good humor). Thanks again for the recs guys and I will report back if there are any remarkable findings.

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite