DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing HDV footage without FCP

Hi all, i was wondering if theres any programs I can use to capture HDV footage through firewire, without FCP? I hate the way the capture process ties up final cut, so id like to be able to set tapes capturing in another program while i work away in FCP.

I need a program that can capture 1080i50, 1080p25 as well as 720p25.

Im not interested in mpeg streamclip route- i want someting painless that captures the hdv straight into quicktime wrappers so they are 100% fcp compatible, and i dont have to fiddle about with them

Would be so easy if I could just run two instances of final cut!

Would imovie work, purely as a capture tool?

any ideas would be great

Last edited by Peter Ford; April 24th, 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: correcting 'sausage fingeritis'
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Look into Quicktime Pro. I've used it for SD capture with no problems, but can't answer your HD question. You can set it up to capture (recording) in the preferences.
Ken Civian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford View Post
Hi all, i was wondering if theres any programs I can use to capture HDV footage through firewire, without FCP? I hate the way the capture process ties up final cut, so id like to be able to set tapes capturing in another program while i work away in FCP.

I need a program that can capture 1080i50, 1080p25 as well as 720p25.

Im not interested in mpeg streamclip route- i want someting painless that captures the hdv straight into quicktime wrappers so they are 100% fcp compatible, and i dont have to fiddle about with them

Would be so easy if I could just run two instances of final cut!

any ideas would be great
Simple answer, if you have one, use another Mac to capture with FCP and transfer the files with an external drive.

Next answer, use DVHSCap to capture the MPEG transport streams off the HDV tape and wrap the files with ClipWrap. However I wouldn't advise capturing and editing at the same time on the same computer unless it was a recent model (Mac Pro, perhaps) and you have tested it fully. There can be too many hardware resources being shared by the two programs to work properly.

More expensive option; get a FireStore or similar direct to disk recorder device and hook that up to your deck and make QuickTime HDV files that way. I use my FireStore to do this a lot, works great and saves time.
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford View Post
"Yes, it does". Concurrently.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Major Player

VLC on Windows can. Given its cross-platform support, the Mac version may, too.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
"Yes, it does". Concurrently.
Yes, iMovie captures HDV but it converts the files into AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Major Player

@William- please explain your process for capturing mpeg streams via DVHSCap- every time I try to capture from my cam, it tells me no device is present. I've been using AVCVideoCap, but it sends me into a kernel panic after about 20,000 frames...
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
@William- please explain your process for capturing mpeg streams via DVHSCap- every time I try to capture from my cam, it tells me no device is present. I've been using AVCVideoCap, but it sends me into a kernel panic after about 20,000 frames...
Not sure where to take you with the info here. What Mac are you using? Have you updated the OS recently? Are you capturing to an internal drive or an external?

AVCVideoCap and DVHSCap are essentially the same program with DVHScap being the older version. Both are supposed to read and transfer MPEG video streams directly out of a connected device. I've never had a problem with DVHScap recognizing either my Sony HDV equipment or my JVC HDV equipment. Try running the tape first and then starting the record process.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite