DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 28th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Two quick questions...

Firstly:

1. If I have a tape that has two different frame rates on it (50i and 25f - both PAL) how can I capture using appropriate settings into FCP? I've been playing around with my Canon XH A1 and wanted to see the different frame rates and some different presets. Will FCP recognise the different rate and do something clever? Will I have to do something manually?

and unrelated:

2. If a friend wants me to do a little video for them and deliver the final piece in Quicktime 640 x 480 for her website, what should I shoot in and what set up should i have for FCP and capturing? I realise this may be a very basic question and although I have made QT movies for youtube before, editing is really just a hobby and I really wanted to do a good job for my mate.

:)

Cheers!
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

SO... um... yeap....

I have sorted question 1. And I am assuming that the the output format (other than the fact that I should shoot progressive for the internet) is something I deal with in post and doesn't affect the shoot?
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes chose the output format after you have done the edit. One other handy hint is to produce a master file that you can then down-convert to whatever file you want.

Personally I shoot and edit in HDV 1080i 50i and then produce a pro res master at 1080i 25p which I can then use to down convert in quicktime pro or mpegstreamclip to apple tv or i-pod sized files.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I seem to have shot in 25f HDV and now looking at my options for producing output for a website as a quicktime movie at 640 x 480 seem to be limited to a squished up/stretched look.

Is there another option?

Can I add bars above and below (letterbox) to counteract this?

Thanks in advance for you help!
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite