Cannot capture HDV with Premiere CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cannot capture HDV with Premiere CS4

This may well be pilot error since this is my first effort with CS4 and I've searched this forum and Adobes but haven't found any such posts.

When capturing HDV to it's native mpeg format I discover, after the fact, that some captured files have dropped off the audio track. I can't find a constant. This can happen within a short time after initiating the capture or well into the clip, on short clips or long clips. But it happens in about 20% of the captured clips.

I then tried to capture to quicktime format. All the device controls work except record? Record just will not active.

I'm using the firewire input. The camera is a JVC JY-HD10U and the computer is a Mac Pro with dual quad core Xeon processors and 14 gigs of ram.As a sub-note, when trying to capture to quicktime, the camera connection disconnects quite often. However, any command on the camera seems to reconnect the camera to the capture device control. Except for record.

Any insight would be appreciated
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

This sounds like you could have multiple issues going on from software configuration to a FW hardware issue. I'd first suggest looking at the Premiere Pro forum topics and see if you find an answer there. I'd also look at the JVC support page for info on how to ingest footage into an NLE and make sure you're using proper setups.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite