Another JVC / FCP Ingestion Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Another JVC / FCP Ingestion Question

OK - I posted a couple weeks back about having problems ingesting 24p from my JVC HD110 into FCP6. A lot of people were helpful - thanks especially to David and Tim. But now I am having the issue with 30p ingestion as well. Was I guilty at that time of assuming it was just an issue with 24p?

Although I never understood completely "why" it was happening (and still don't, other than "gremlins), I was given good advice about work-arounds. So, I did capture some 30p (not 24p) to my MR-HD100 hard drive but am now trying to ingest again from tape (that's another story).

Basic question... do all the weird TC and clip break issues that haunt JVC/FCP in 24p also apply to 30p?? I seem to consistently lose about 6 seconds or so between clips when they break themselves. Some people have suggested setting up the batch capture to include handles but others have said this doesn't work. This whole thing is a little exasperating. Am I missing something basic? Is it about the GOP structure?

Will Apple and JVC ever fix this (or do we all have to buy the new HM100/HM700 cams?).

The last question is rhetorical... :-)
Terry VerHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
Basic question... do all the weird TC and clip break issues that haunt JVC/FCP in 24p also apply to 30p?? I seem to consistently lose about 6 seconds or so between clips when they break themselves. Some people have suggested setting up the batch capture to include handles but others have said this doesn't work. This whole thing is a little exasperating. Am I missing something basic? Is it about the GOP structure?

Will Apple and JVC ever fix this (or do we all have to buy the new HM100/HM700 cams?).

The last question is rhetorical... :-)
All the problems with 24p are there with 30p, 60i JVC HDV. The best way to avoid the problem is to capture with DVHSCap and wrap the files with ClipWrap.

Will Apple and JVC ever fix this? Probably not.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Many thanks!!

Again, many thanks to all those who have provided valuable information about this issue - and saved me lots of time and further anguish.

Although I have recorded some footage to my Focus Enhancements MR-HD100 and completely avoided this issue (I think), as luck would have it, somehow I subsequently failed to record some of my files on to the drive (?) and had to go back to the tape. (I'll have to figure that one out separately.)

So, following the advice of others here, I downloaded DVHSCap to capture and purchased ClipWrap to wrap the .m2t files to .mov files. So, I think I have it going OK right now. Whew! - I am really not as clueless as it would seem here! :-)

And, I am still curious about someone who I think posted that they were successfully capturing JVC ProHD (30p, if I remember correctly) right into FCP? Can't find the post right now...
Terry VerHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It wasn't me but I've had success with direct tape to FCP JVC HDV captures (that's a set of abbreviations) most of the time. Sometimes the problem is with the tape stock. It's not always the brand or whether you use premium tape or not. I'll buy a box of premium HDV tapes and one tape in the box gives me problems. I can use regular DV tape and not have a problem.

It's the failed captures that are very frustrating and using the DDR isn't always the solve-all. I had one shoot where the FireStore screwed up one interview (it wrecked the QuickTime file wrapper somehow) and I had to use the tape. In fact I now have the FireStore capture m2t files instead of having it convert to QuickTime on the fly. Less worries and ClipWrap is really fast. Until ClipWrap came out, it was always a dicey time when it came to capture clean HDV from tape.

By the way, you can record to the FireStore directly from the tape. It doesn't have the same issues with camera pauses and drop-outs as FCP does.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Recording with DR-HD100 in quicktime is a nightmare, because of the sound issues- hissing noise. Somehow the recording setting was switched in the middle of the shoot from m2t to QT and I ended up with bunch of garbage sound. I had to re-capture from the tape, sync the sound, just a whole bunch of unnecessary hassle.
As far as capturing from the tape, I stopped using HDV setting and was able to capture in ProRes HQ, much easier option, but heavy on a disc space.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite