Question on a macBook pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question on a macBook pro

I use a macbook pro to edit on and would like to play back a project streight from my computer on my HDTV, is this possible?
Is there a converter to get me to HDMI from any port i have?
Eddie Pelfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sure it's possible. Many HDTVs have VGA inputs which you can connect to the monitor output of your computer with a DVI to VGA adapter. DVI to HDMI cables work but they can be very problematic depending on your HD set.
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #3
Major Player

I have a MBP and regularly hook it up to my 47" Vizio. It works fine - you just need a DVI-D to HDMI cable.

The "more professional" option is to go with something that will be frame accurate. Using FCP to output as a monitor (through DVI to LCD Monitor) is NOT frame accurate and shouldn't be trusted.

I like the Matrox MXO. It provides frame accuracy, color adjustment and scan conversion all for a reasonable price.

But, you can get away with a simply DVI-D to HDMI if you are in a bind.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Were can I get these cables?

What is a MXO?
Eddie Pelfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Use Google, you'll find all the info you need.

The DVI output of your MacBookPro is not color accurate for video but you can adjust it enough for rough work and informal screenings. Several projects I've worked on have used MacBookPros for HD screenings and depending on the projector/HD set, it worked very well for the audience.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Trustee

The DVI to VGA adaptor normally comes free with MacBook Pro's. You need to make sure this is what you need though. Most modern flat-screen tv's have a DVI connector so you'd need a DVI to DVI cable.

Here's the DVI to VGA cable that comes free with MacBook Pro's:
Apple DVI to VGA Display Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Here's the Matrox MXO William is referring to:
Matrox MXO - Overview

There's also a new MXO2 that you might want to look at as well.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Eddie,

What cables to buy depends on what version MBP you have. The latest unibody versions use the new mini display port rather than the "old" DVI connection previously found on the side. And unlike it's predecessors the new unibody MBP's do *not* come with any mini-display port adapters, those you have to purchase as accessories.

OWC has recently added a huge video-accessory lineup which include various laptop-to-TV adatpers, talk with one of their salespeople.

Video Cards, Displays, TV Tuners, KVM Switchs, Video Editing Cards, A/V Input/Ouput Devices, Accessories & More for your Mac (or PC) at OtherWorldComputing.com
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
The DVI output of your MacBookPro is not color accurate for video but you can adjust it enough for rough work and informal screenings.
Really? If that was the case, wouldn't it mean that you couldn't hook an Apple Cinema Display either. From my experience color accuracy will be more on the monitor than your connect.

Hooking up your HDTV to your MBP should be really easy & should work just as if you were using an Apple display. DVI to HDMI cables are cheap & everywhere. It can be tricky, but if you run into problems, just google MBP & HDTV. If you get it working w/ the OS, it should work w/ FCP or QT.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Go Go Godzilla

Williams post about color accuracy is correct, which is why serious color correction is never accomplished with just an LCD monitor but external "broadcast monitors" either the traditional SD or now the newer LUT-matched LCD's and plasmas used by the networks.

If your final output is to the web then obviously any decent LCD will do fine but broadcast TV or film requires a monitor than can replicate the color space of the final output type. See the various threads on color correction methods or in the FCP built-in guides.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Wrangler

So is this actually a function of the DVI output, or is the monitors that tend to have HDMI connections themselves that are the non-accurate part of the chain?

I'm intending to install a Mac Mini into my home theater and use a DVI/HDMI (well, mini-DVI anyway) connection to my projector--is there a reason to assume that image quality will not be as good as if I used another method to connect, say, via external converter and component video?
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
So is this actually a function of the DVI output, or is the monitors that tend to have HDMI connections themselves that are the non-accurate part of the chain?

I'm intending to install a Mac Mini into my home theater and use a DVI/HDMI (well, mini-DVI anyway) connection to my projector--is there a reason to assume that image quality will not be as good as if I used another method to connect, say, via external converter and component video?
Your proposed setup is fine for home viewing. The weakest link in that chain will be the projector - which unless you spend more than $10k isn't going to be very impressive.

Before making any investments in equipment I'd talk to the people at OWC (see link above) and get some suggestions on how best to setup your Mac Mini. I know production and post monitoring setups like nobody's business but home theater stuff is outside my specialty.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #12
Wrangler

Thanks Robert. The projector was indeed over $10K, beautiful picture. However it's three years old now which means that it has of course been superseded by new models (which actually cost even more), plus the less expensive ones have improved as well. What can you do. I'm still happy every time that screen comes down. It would just be nice to be able to view my own HD work on the big screen!
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

My experience has demonstrated (to me at least) that the HDMI inputs of most LCDs are calibrated for the output of cable boxes, DVD players or other consumer video equipment. In other words equipment set to video color space. The HDMI out of an HD camera is correct as well. A DVI to HDMI cable (if it works, those cables confuse the hell out of my Samsung LCD TVs) does not change the color space of the signal which is why Matrox can charge so much for their excellent output boxes. BlackMagic Designs have a decent HDMI card for MacPros but nothing for laptops, iMacs or MacMinis.

The VGA inputs on your average LCD TV are set to computer color space so with a little tweaking in the color output settings on your Mac you can get a pretty good image for informal viewing. I'm sure you can calibrate a DVI to HDMI signals to close to optimal as well but if you compare the output of a Blu-Ray player to the same image coming out of the DVI port you'll see the difference.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Thanks Robert. The projector was indeed over $10K, beautiful picture. However it's three years old now which means that it has of course been superseded by new models (which actually cost even more), plus the less expensive ones have improved as well. What can you do. I'm still happy every time that screen comes down. It would just be nice to be able to view my own HD work on the big screen!
I'd test it first Charles.
Although...
You may want to look at Popcorn Hour. It's extremely cheap for what you want to do and allows streaming at 1080p.

Technically, the MXO 1 will work via QuickTime output but it's garbage in garbage out. Your codec will determine your playback Quality even if the color space is there.
I wouldn't recommend it if that is the units sole purpose- but if you plan on editing "on your wall" then this makes sense.

The Popcorn also can be calibrated colorwise but the Linux interface takes some getting used to. It has HDMI and Component HD Out.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #15
Inner Circle

A Mac Mini connected via DVI>HDMI connection to a projector works very well as a HTPC. I don't believe that a projector needs to cost over $10K to be impressive either. My Panasonic PT-AE700 cost the equivalent of about $2000 over 3 years ago & the 10'/3m wide picture still impresses. A similar but better model now would be about the same price & 1920x1080 rather than 1280x720. The cheap projectors designed more for slide presentations than movies are to be avoided for home use but any HD device will be impressive especially if you can totally control the light level in your cinema room.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite