Workflow for the Pany HMC150..? AVCHD Fun! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Workflow for the Pany HMC150..? AVCHD Fun!

Hi All,

I am seriously looking at this camera but after quite a bit of searching, cannot find a difinitive workflow for the files using Final Cut.. if I've somehow missed the holy grail thread can someone steer me in the right direction? Otherwise please tell me how you are dealing with the files and what you are transcoding to.

If any of you do Same Day Edits with this camera at weddings please share your workflow for that as well

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Scott, I had the same concern about two months ago.

It's really quite simple...

Plug your card reader into your Mac, insert card.
Click LOG AND TRANSFER and make sure you're capturing to ProRes... and that's it!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

AVCHD Workflow manual

Scott,

The built-in manual in FCP has an entire chapter on how to work with AVCHD. Pull up your users manual in FCP, navigate to the "Working with HD and Broadcast formats" link, then to the "Working with AVCHD" chapter. As Blake points out it's a very simple and easy process but make sure you read the chapter to fully understand the limitations.
Attached Thumbnails
Workflow for the Pany HMC150..?  AVCHD Fun!-picture-1.jpg   Workflow for the Pany HMC150..?  AVCHD Fun!-picture-2.jpg  

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Major Player

As long as you have an Intel Mac and Final Cut 6.05, it should be: 1) open log and transfer, choose clips, and add to ingest queue. 2) edit.

Fast, easy, painless.

Archiving is another matter.... Final Cut doesn't save your original files and the ingested files are too big to keep indefinitely. So you have to backup the original files from the SDHC cards, including the folder structure, separately from Final Cut.

If you've got a G5 computer (or even worse, a Powerbook,) then forget about this camera. You can't do anything with the files without spending the rest of your life transcoding....
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite