DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with Image Stabilizer

I have tried to use the Image Stabilizer on FCP5 for the first time, but to no avail.
If selected, a little rectangle appears in the centre of the picture, which, when trying to drag it, turns into a thumbnail of the image.
The instructions suggest to place it in an 'immobile' area of high contrast in the picture.
They also talk about a popup menu, which allows you to view the clip before and after the application. I get no popup menu when
selecting the Image Stabilizer, but I can certainly watch the clip before and after!
It just moves and jumps around jerky, seemingly clustered together in short clips.
The clips that I want to 'treat' with IS are certainly the right ones (according to instructions),
clips with slight vibrations caused by wind when using the tripod and a tele-Zoom on the Z7 in a
locked shot. What do I misunderstand?
Has anyone out there tried using IS on FCP before.
A short note would be very much appreciated.
Cheers, Gerd

Last edited by Gerd Kogler; June 4th, 2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Mistake
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
New Boot

Actually much easier and you'll get better results if you do it in Motion. Select the clip you want to stabilize. Control-Click it and from the short cut menu that pops up choose "Send to Motion."

In Motion select the clip and then from Behaviors menu select Add Behavior-Motion Tracking-Stabilize. "Add a tracker" to a spot on the video where there is high contrast. Then analyze and save.

You'll automatically be taken back to FCP and all that's left is to render your adjusted and stabilized clip.

Steve Pustay
Steven Pustay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Very much appreciated, Steven. Thank you for your input. I'll give that a try.
Cheers, Gerd
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pustay View Post
AIn Motion select the clip and then from Behaviors menu select Add Behavior-Motion Tracking-Stabilize. "Add a tracker" to a spot on the video where there is high contrast. Then analyze and save.
Was the stabilizer included within Motion in Final Cut Studio 1?
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Tim, thanks for your response. After I read it I looked into it and - yes your doubts may be confirmed, I did not find any info in the manual. Just busy at the moment, but I will have a thorough look into it soon.
I still wonder, why I can't work out the FCP IS.
Cheers, Gerd
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite