DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP or FCExp. on 2.0 intel 20" imac "new to mac"

I’m looking at a 20" imac 2.0 Intel a 2008 model 4gigs of ram 1 fw400 1 fw800 so can I capture via 400 and send it directly out the 800 to an external H/D and edit with FCP or FCExp. I think I will also be working with some AVCHD down the road

I am not a day to day editor. just want to get a good working knowledge of FCP I do work with Vegas and avid at work. Don't need to be a super user on FC

Thanks

Vince
Vince Debart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Which camera?

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Not sure ...sony or canon or I might just go with HDV ... I am still working in SD pd150 vx2100

any input on the imac question?

Thanks

Vince
Vince Debart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm thinking the reason Noah asked about which camera is because FCP has a broader range of native format compatibility than FCExpress.

But since you aren't looking to go full throttle - just need a working knowledge of the Final Cut interface, etc, than buying the full Final Cut Studio package is going to be overkill for your needs. (One of the primary selling points of the full FCP Studio package is that it comes with all the amazing additional applications that comprise the suite - but if you don't need them and won't use them, than it is not money well spent.)

In your case, Final Cut Express will likely do the trick, and for only $199, it's pretty much the best bang for the buck (in my opinion) to suit your specific needs.

Final Cut Express doesn't have as full a range of format compatibility options and doesn't have all of the controls and core features that Final Cut Pro has (such as batch capture), but it does have a nearly identical interface, most of the basic filter sets and parameter controls, and I believe in the latest version that finally allowed keyframe controls for filters and effects.

On the surface, there is pretty much no difference in the interface, so at $199, it is a pretty economical way to learn the interface and grow familiar with its functionality.

-Jon
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Jon
Vince Debart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite