Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 26th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #1
New Boot

newbie help capturing footage from someone else

Hi Guys

sorry for asking for help again! i'll try and be quick.

filmed an awards ceremony last night - I did interviews in a corridor outside main room - but for the awards themselves gave MiniDV tapes to the AV guys who were shooting and recording for the big screen.

Now when I try to capture their stuff in FCP firstly it just came up black with 'awaiting timecode message' so after some research i changed the device settings to 'non-controllable device'(where you have to press play manually) this seemed to work, but only for about 3 seconds when FCP says something like:

"data capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape - this could be a problem with the tape"

but the tape seems fine when I play and view it in the camera - all though the engineer recording it did mention that the tapes could only fit 40 mins on each when normally they take 1hr footage.

any ideas/solutions or even if you can work out what the problem is would be much appreciated. my deadline for this is literally "ASAP"!
Arun Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
It's not recorded DV. It's recorded DVCam. Get a deck (or camera) capable of DVCam playback and voilá. Sony Z1, PD150/170 cameras will do the job.
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
It's not recorded DV. It's recorded DVCam. Get a deck (or camera) capable of DVCam playback and voilá. Sony Z1, PD150/170 cameras will do the job.
thanks shaun - do you know if canon XM2 is capable of this? google not being much help and dont have the manual with me
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #4
New Boot

as a side note - manged to get most of it captured after numerous restarts - but the sound and picture jumps - i expect this is due to problem already identified by Shaun above.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

DVCAM is a sony proprietary thing. The good news is that any cheap sony 1 chip mini dv camera will play it back proper. Canon will not. You'll need to find yourself a sony camera.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #6
New Boot

great thanks
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #7
New Boot

if anyone's interested you can see the finished article here LocalGov.co.uk - Your authority on UK Local Government > LocalGov.co.uk - Your authority on UK Local Government > The 2009 MJ Achievement Award Winners (without the DV cam footage sadly)
Arun Marsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite