Export at wrong resolution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Export at wrong resolution?

I have an FCP project with DV timelines. I let FCP set up the timeline to match the video. It looks perfectly fine on the canvas, when it's set to 100%. It also looks perfect on the monitor through the Kona 3 card.

When I export video as a self-contained .mov, using current settings, though, the result looks lo-res and pixelated. It almost appears as if it's only exporting one field.

I can export through QT conversion as, say, 640x480 VGA, and it comes out full-rez.

Xdcam ex timelines in the same project export correctly.

This is on a mac pro, FCP 6.0.5, QT and OS are just prior to the latest upgrades.

I suspect I have some simple setting wrong somewhere but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance ....

Best,
John
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi John,
I'm not sure what is causing this, but with the exported QT file open in Quicktime Player, choose command-i (or "Show Movie Inspector" under the "Window" menu) and confirm what it states under "Format" and "Normal Size".

Also, go into your Preferences while in Quicktime (select "Preferences" under the "Quicktime Player" menu,) and in the "General" tab, in the "Movies" section, check the "Use high-quality video setting when available" checkbox and see if that helps with improving how your exported file is displayed.

-Jon
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones View Post
Hi John,
... Preferences while in Quicktime (select "Preferences" under the "Quicktime Player" menu,) and in the "General" tab, in the "Movies" section, check the "Use high-quality video setting when available" checkbox and see if that helps with improving how your exported file is displayed.

-Jon
This falls into the "tearing my hair out over the wrong problem" category. The export was fine, it was that setting in QT, and thanks very much for the help.

Best,
John

Last edited by John Godwin; June 30th, 2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: tweak
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Right on. Glad it helped.

I think that checkbox being unchecked by default is a carry-over from days of weaker graphics resources on older systems, and intended to ensure smoother playback for higher-data rate files if the system would otherwise struggle to keep up - with the expectation being also that the exported file was generally not used as a final presentation format, but rather an intermediary for other purposes, such as a full-quality re-compression source into other formats - which generally looked better than the full-quality version because they were being displayed properly in their presentation-ready format while the source file was not. (end of run-on sentence)

I think newer and more robust machines generally don't have a problem keeping up with high-quality playback anymore, but I think most folks don't know about that little checkbox.

-Jon
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I sure didn't know ... thanks again.
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite