Anyone using Toast to burn blu-ray discs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using Toast to burn blu-ray discs?

I'm on a Macbook Pro, running FCS1, and wondering whether getting Toast 10 and a Pioneer burner in an external enclosure will allow me to create blu-ray discs from my HDV productions ...

If anyone is using Toast to burn blu-ray on a Mac, can you share your workflow?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Major Player

I have read that it's impossible to compress your own file (w/ compressor) for toast to burn a bluray. But I have had no problem using Toast to compress and burn a disk though. I've burned a bluray with a DVD on my powerbook and it played back on the PS3.
In Final Cut Pro Copy your Sequence (for a backup) and go into the sequence settings to change it from HDV to Pro Res or Apple Intermediate codec (Whatever codec you have). Don't use HDV. Then just go to export>Quicktime (not conversion). Then just drag it into toast.
For the Toast settings I followed a thread on the Toast website, but it was self explanatory anyway.
If anyone has had success using compressor I'd like to hear about it. Maybe they fixed this w/ the new version.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It works fine with Toast. Just drag a Final Cut QuickTime movie into Toast and let it do the work. However the resulting disc is not necessarily playable on all commercial BluRay players. The PS3 works great but for some reason LG BluRay players don't recognize the video file format that Toast creates. LG acknowledges this. I don't have enough experience with other BluRay players to give any further information.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the responses, guys... are you guys talking about burning an actual blu-ray disc? Or are you talking about putting HD content on a regular DVD-5 and then playing that in a PS3?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #5
Major Player

I'll add some tidbits here. Basically, you are asking Toast to do your encoding, which isn't the best. Most who use this workflow use Encore to create the encode for blu-ray - this can be either a DVD 5 or an actual BRD.

Type Bruce Nazarian into google - he truly is the guru for this kind of stuff and has a website (forgot the name) with lots of pertinent info.
Best,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

After much experimenting, I have found a workflow that I am consistently happy with. I export from the timeline using Compressor. If I use MPEG2-HD, frame accurate chapters markers make it to my disc (DVD-R or BD-R) when I set Toast to Automatic chapter markers. It also SEEMS that if I keep my bitrate under 26, that my discs are pretty damn compatible and Toast does not need to re-encode.

I am using the latest versions of Toast and FCS2 on a new Mac Pro. This method worked just fine on my recently retired G5. Just way slower.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite