Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Tourist

Overcrank and loss of frames

Hi everyone,

this is my first post here, and I would like to say that this forum is the best resource I've ever met in the internet!!

This is my problem: I'm shooting at 480P60 with my JVC HD100, then I import the footage and recode it to 720P60 with Mpeg Streamclip. When I drop it into a 720P30 timeline and slow it down to 50%, Final Cut DON'T USE all the frame, but only 30 interpolating to 60, resulting in a jerky clip.
I had to conform it at 29,97 then import in a 29,97 sequence and speed up evrithing at 200% living the parts that I wanto to slow down at 100%.

Is there any chance to import the video as it is (720P60), without conforming it, and have a overcrank effet?

Thank you in advance!

Leo
Leonardo Moncelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Moncelli View Post
Hi everyone,

this is my first post here, and I would like to say that this forum is the best resource I've ever met in the internet!!

This is my problem: I'm shooting at 480P60 with my JVC HD100, then I import the footage and recode it to 720P60 with Mpeg Streamclip. When I drop it into a 720P30 timeline and slow it down to 50%, Final Cut DON'T USE all the frame, but only 30 interpolating to 60, resulting in a jerky clip.
I had to conform it at 29,97 then import in a 29,97 sequence and speed up evrithing at 200% living the parts that I wanto to slow down at 100%.

Is there any chance to import the video as it is (720P60), without conforming it, and have a overcrank effet?

Thank you in advance!

Leo
I came across this the other day in the manual when looking for something else. You may need to use 720p60@30 setting, which will label every second frame with an asterisk in the time code, and then drop the 60 onto the 30 timeline, this is a setting in the timecode window on the Canvas. I am not sure if this helps smooth your playback or only represents showing the timecode correctly, but it's worth a shot.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Moncelli View Post
Cinema Tools is your friend.

Do a search on this forum with Cinema Tools as the search term and you should do well. There is a Google Search window at the bottom of the page. Good luck and welcome!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Tourist

Everyone do the same thing that I do: conform to 30 and have a overcrank, but in this way I had to speed up each clip that I want to play at a 100% speed. I would like to obtain an overcrank without conforming the clip. Anyone knows if it's possible?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Tourist

No one can help me? I would like to use a 60p footage and slow it down to 50% in a 30p timeline, without frame blanding, but with a real overcrank. Any idea?
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Tourist

Please! No one use FCP with 60p in a 30p timeline?
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Ok, Leonardo, again, do as I pointed out and open the 60P clip you want to use as slow motion at 30P in Cinema Tools and change the time base to 30P. Then import it to FCP and it will play back at half speed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite