DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 21st, 2009, 02:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Peaking

I recorded a choir at a wedding and on a few notes the audio peaks and clips ( kinda beeps).
Is there anyway to reduce the notes that peak too much??

any suggestions would be helpful and its so so annoying

many thanks

luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Clipped audio can't be completely fixed, but there are audio restoration programs with "de-clipper" plugins that can help some. They tend to be pricey: iZotope RX - Complete Audio Restoration: Declipping, Declicker, Hum Removal, Denoiser, Spectral Repair, Restore, Remaster, Download . There is such a filter in Sony Soundforge 9 if you have access to it. There is no simple solution, because 0 dBfs is the brick-wall limit for digital audio ... exceed that and you run out of digits, as it were. So that data is gone. The filters attempt to interpret where the tops of the waveforms would be and re-draw them to eliminate the worst of the distorted noise; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't..../ Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Limit and/or Compress

Adobe PremierePro (and Soundbooth, if you have access to it...) both feature built-in audio compressors and limiters with presets or manual control. I'm sure lots of other programs feature this also. What are you editing with?
James Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Trustee

Compression and limiting are fine if you have an undamaged waveform you want to alter. A clipped waveform is damaged in that the data that would form the top part of the waveform is gone and what you have is digital noise.... that uncomfortable razzz sound where there should be music. No amount of level control will bring back what's missing....the de-clippers, as I mentioned, try to "mend" the waveform back to something resembling a sine wave instead of a rectangle.../bvaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM   #5
Major Player

re

I'm using FCP studio 2, I've had a look at some of the filters but have nop idea what some do. Thanks anyway for your feedback guys. Great stuff. Ill have to monitor my audio a bit better next time
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite