Compressor 3.5 - RedLight BDR Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Compressor 3.5 - RedLight BDR Problem

Great. I just became a Beta Tester. So, I submit my DVCPRO HD sequence to Encode & Burn to Blu-Ray (via Compressor not FCP7) and the disc does not burn (in fact it isn't detecting blank media in Compressor).

What's worse, I have two hour long encodes that cannot be burned without repeating the encode process.

Of course, I can burn the encodes in Encore but I wanted to stay in Studio 3.

I realize FCP Studio 3 was released yesterday but is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone get a successful Redlight BDR yet?

Thanks,
-C
Attached Images

Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Christopher, by "RedLight BDR" do you mean a regular red laser DVD-R? If so, I think you have to choose the "AVCHD disc" preset instead of "Blu-ray disc" (which requires an actual Blu-ray disc).

AVCHD is a standard that lets you put HD video clips (but no menus or other special features) on a DVD-R which can be played back in most Blu-ray players.

If you're actually trying to burn a real Blu-ray BD-R which is in a Blu-ray burner connected to your Mac then never mind. :)
Jason Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone get a successful Redlight BDR yet?
Was getting exactly same thing. Also Motion wasn't doing 'Undo'. A colleague was having strange compressor problems.

Applied 'Apple's Patented Universal Panacea' AKA fixed disk permissions, now everything is rosy in the garden.

Furthermore, the Compressor-made AVCHD onto DVD-R is clearly better than Toast encodes using high bandwidth. It's enough to keep me going (screeners) until DVDSP does it properly.
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Applied 'Apple's Patented Universal Panacea' AKA fixed disk permissions, now everything is rosy in the garden.
That's a good call - I never repaired permissions after install. Going to try that now.

I still don't understand why I have to repeat the entire process (encoding) when I already have the files - Is there really no way to only burn out of compressor like there is out of DVD Studio Pro?

-C
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow - Repair permissions did the trick!
It is now burning AVCHD discs and is building the right directories too (see screenshot).
So cool! Just played it on a PS3 and it looks GOOOD. Equivalent to the Toast route.
This is making me feel better about the update.
Anyone have any ideas on how much AVCHD content can fit on one disc (I thought it was 22 minutes for single layer and 44 for duel)?

Thanks,
-C
Attached Thumbnails
Compressor 3.5 - RedLight BDR Problem-picture-13.png  
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Trustee

I loved that feature in Toast 10 (used it a bunch on our home Sony Blu-Ray player), but I was disappointed to find that those red-laser discs wouldn't play on my friends Blu-Ray players. One was a Pioneer and the other was a Samsung.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite