Upgrading to FCS3/FCP7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Upgrading to FCS3/FCP7

Is this a major upgrade requiring a complete install or is this more like upgrading from 6.02 to 6.06?

There doesn't appear to be anything that would require a complete re-install..?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Major Player

I've installed the upgrade on two systems and tested functionality with both. They work. Some here will say it is advisable to do a re-install but honestly, 5 hours is a long time for the same outcome.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
I've installed the upgrade on two systems and tested functionality with both. They work. Some here will say it is advisable to do a re-install but honestly, 5 hours is a long time for the same outcome.

-C
Christopher, I have installed FCS3 on my laptop, but I uninstalled FCS2 before the upgrade installation. Everything went fin with no hitches,a dn seems to function properly. Teh only hiccup are a few sets of FX plugins in Motion, but the developers going to have an update by next week, so no worries.

I do have a question in regards to installing the update though.

I was testing the update on my MacBook Pro before installing it on my MacPro workstation, and was wondering is I don't uninstall FCS2 first and simply install the FCS3 upgrade, then will the upgrade simply overwrite FCS2 so no uninstall of FCS2 is necessary?

Or will the upgrade install leave me with 2 versions (FCS2/FCS3) on my system?

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; July 30th, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, you'll only need your Studio 2 serial number, to prove you're licensed for the upgrade. The other apps are overwritten. You could always rename Final Cut Pro- studio 2 applications if you wanted to keep both versions - or install to a different disc - however, application support, library items will all be at the new Studio 3 settings.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
Yes, you'll only need your Studio 2 serial number, to prove you're licensed for the upgrade. The other apps are overwritten. You could always rename Final Cut Pro- studio 2 applications if you wanted to keep both versions - or install to a different disc - however, application support, library items will all be at the new Studio 3 settings.

-C
So Is is safe enough to simply upgrade and let FCS3 overwrite, or is best served to remove FCS2, like I did on my laptop, then install FCS3.

I know that LiveType no longer comes with the new FCS3 suite, and if I uninstall the FCS2 suite I won;t have access to it. But I figure that it;'s about time that I take advantage and learn Motion like I should have done a while ago.

In working with Motion 4 for just 2 days, I have already found ways to create similar titles that I ws doing in LiveType. So it won't be missed by me.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I prefer to use motion for titles, such as lower thirds than livetype, there is much more control to personalise it and better effects too, check out the new atmospheric title in motion, it's quite cool.
However having said that, I simply overwritten fcps 2 with the new upgrade and encountered no problems whatsoever.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM   #7
New Boot

Just got done upgrading to FCS3 on my Mac Pro. No problems. Only asked for FCS3 serial number and not any previous serial #'s. Totally functional. No need to uninstall FCS2.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Sponsor: Westside AV

I did one remove and then reinstall using FCS remover, it took 5 hrs to remove on my MBP and about 3 hrs to install. Runs no problems, it accepted my (upgrade) s/n from FCS2.

Then I did an upgrade on a new 8 core MP with Matrox MX02 and full studio as well as M100 Suite. This is still a testing machine. No problems what so ever, install took 2 hrs and everything runs great even though Matrox does not sanction FCP7 yet. No need to input old s#.

I have used FCP, Color, Motion, STP and DVDSP so far no problems on either machine.

My only gripe is the lousy Help manual system, no PDF's.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Since I'm always in the middle of some projects, I wonder if anyone of you had problems with existing projects?

Thanks....
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite