Any workarounds to install Final Cut Studio 3 on an 07 MacBook? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 5th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #31
Major Player

Heath - Please tell me about "Profiling for RT Extreme" the first time you load FCP 7 on your MacBook. Did it take forever and give you significantly less in terms of RT playback?

Getting the Red 'Line of Doom' even though it's ProRes Proxy material which was playing fine in FCP 6.0.6.
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #32
MPS Digital Studios

I had no issues on the MacBook but I was doing straight cuts with a little bit of graphics. I'm on a loaned MacBook Pro and have no issues at all.

Heath
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #33
Regular Crew

ok i made a disk image through disk utility and followed the directions but am not able to trash the requirements checklist file nor am i able to modify the minsys file to 64mb because it won't let me save it. any ideas on what i am doing wrong? thanks.
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

Are you on an Intel or Power PC system?
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #35
Regular Crew

intel core duo 2ghz macbook. i tried deleting the check requirements file from the disk image i made but keep getting an error -61. also tried to modify the minsys file from 128 to 64 but am unable to save the new changes. i followed the step by step but have these 2 issues. thanks for any help heath.
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #36
MPS Digital Studios

Hmm, that's weird. I had no problems with it. Try rebooting and resetting your PRAM. I sometimes do that before installing software.

Hold down the P, R, Option, and Command keys all at once and you'll hear the start-up chime three times. Then let go and let it book up normally.

Heath
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #37
Wrangler

This sounds like a permissions problem offhand to me (the file is "owned" by another user and you do not have write permission on the directory or its contents). Are you doing all this from an account that has administrative privileges?

It could be fixed using terminal and a few unix shell commands, but this assumes some familiarity with the unix commands and also that you have the superuser enabled.

For starters, I would select the files/folders in question and do a "get info" in the Finder. What does it say for "me" under Sharing & Permissions? If it is read only, can you change that?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #38
Regular Crew

under sharing/priviledges, it says read & write so i don't think that is the problem...still trying to figure this out...
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #39
Regular Crew

ok found out the problem...i duplicated the original FCP disc(command-D) instead of using a Disk Image and that solved the problem. installing now...thanks again for your help!
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #40
MPS Digital Studios

Glad to hear that it was an easy fix!

Heath
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #41
Regular Crew

imported dv footage no problems. cut, added some transitions and picture in picture. so far, so good. only slight problem is no fxplugins are supported. waiting for my new macbook pro next month so being able to play and familiarize myself on macbook for the time being will be beneficial. time to order my Final Cut Pro 7 book by Diana Weynand! thanks all!

jaser

Macbook 2ghz w/ 64MB Intel integrated graphics
80GB hard drive 2GB ram
160gb owc firewire 400/800 on the go external drive
MacOS 10.5.8
Quicktime 7.6.2
Final Cut Pro 7 =)
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #42
MPS Digital Studios

Very cool. Which MBP? I thought about the 13.3" to get by, but I may go with a refurb 17" to get the ExpressCard/34 slot.

Heath
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #43
Regular Crew

i'll be getting the previous generation(non unibody) Apple Macbook Pro 15" 2.5ghz. i'm going to get it at the Apple online store where it sells for $1499 refurbished and includes a one year warranty. I like this particular model because it includes the the express card slot and removable battery and 512MB Nvidia graphics card. also, i don't have to pay an Apple premium just because i want a matte screen. I'm hoping when the Quad Core Macbook Pros come out, they implement back the express card slot. i have a $10 usb sd card reader so i find the replacement ridiculous for Macbook Pros.
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #44
MPS Digital Studios

Dang, I missed that one! But I think I'm going to go with a 17-inch model because I'd end up buying an external monitor to get 1920 x 1080.

Heath
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:04 AM   #45
Major Player

Rightclick on the installed app (Final cut pro/content/resources/ "minsys.plist"). Open this file in text edit and find AELminimm VRAM 128, -change 128 to 64 and save.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite