How do I find what my mac is running at? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I find what my mac is running at?

Ive recently added memory to my G4 and wanted to make sure its using it all. How do I see what my computer believes it has? I know on windows you can go into my computer and see the percentage its running at and what not....how about on a mac?
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

From the Finder under either MacOS 9 or MacOS X, go to "about this mac" in the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen. In System 9 you will see a summary of memory, etc. Under OS X you can click on "more info" which will launch Apple System Profiler and tell you everything imaginable about the computer. Under System 9 you may access Apple System Profiler through a shortcut on the Apple Menu.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Excellent, Ive found it and what I was worried is true. Its not reading my other two sticks of memory I have recently put in. Now macs usually take care of upgrades themselves dont they? Is there a search for new hardware?

Again thanks for your help/
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yes it should detect it. There are two common reasons for this problem however. By far the most likely reason is that the memory is not completely seated. This has happened to me a number of times. Take it out, reinsert and wiggle to be certain it's making good contact (but don't FORCE anything!). You don't say what sort of machine you're using, or what sort of memory.

The other common problem would be that even though the memory chips fit your computer they may not be the correct type. I had this problem with a new 15" powerbook where the chip fit fine but had the wrong refresh speed and was not recognized.

A third, although less likely, reason might be that the chips have the correct specs but are not manufactured within Apple's tolerances. OSX is a bit more finicky about this than OS 9 was.

So try reinserting first, and maybe swap the chips between different slots if that's an option. If it still does not work then you can go to Apple's website and confirm whether you've got the correct chips for your machine.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

beautiful, thanks for your help.
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #6
Warden

Ryan, have you resolved these issue to your satisfaction?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, unfortuneatly the memory isnt working and Ive already sold it.
Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite