Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

APple disappoints with new DVDSP V3 release

Very disappointed, again.

See on the Apple US store that they want to charge DVDSP V2 users $199 + taxes to 'upgrade' to version 3. (this upgrade price is the same for version 1 users)

I cannot see from the info supplied that there is much difference in V3 as compared to version 2. certainly not $199 + tax.

Looks like apple continue to send out the message to customers that you should not upgrade to new software (only every other time there is a relaunch)

As a stock holder in Apple, I am disappionted that loyal users are discouraged from parting with a small amount of cash for continuous upgrades and, like me, are now alternating between upgrades.

Only 8 month ago, I paid $150 to go from V1 to V2 and I will be dammed if I am going to pay another $199 + tax for this minor upgrade.

Yea I will do without the improved interface but I'll live with it.

regards P
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Trustee

One thing I don't understand about Apple, and I'm only saying this because I work at an office that uses both PC and Macs, is their method of charging for what should just be packs and patches.

I don't know of any software that should charge for .1 higher in the version release string. It's fair to assume a .5 update or a full version update should be charged for, but if all you're doing is fixing bugs or eliminating Hot Fixes or workarounds for underdeveloped functionality, how in the world can you keep charging? Especially when you consider the tremendous amounts of fixes and updates and patches you constantly get for free from Microsoft with their Windows Update system.

My office is taxing its budget constantly for all these Apple updates and it's driving us nuts.

And don't even get me started on our woes with Quark...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Patrick,
A share your surprise and disappointment that Apple is asking a $200 fee for a product updated less than a year ago for about the same price. I've barely investigated 2.0, so I doubt that I'll be upgrading again soon. I suspect that this marketing decision may actually be due to disappointing upgrade orders from versions 1 to 2.

Imran: as a long-serving (but now-retired) veteran of the Microsoft updates I'd say that the comparison isn't really valid. The steady drizzle of MS "service packs" and "patches" were largely remedial and rarely offered any additional functionality. Apple, too, offers many free service and security updates through its "Software Update" facility in OS X. Every for-fee update to Apple application software I've purchased has offered true functional enhancement.

I'm not being an apologist for Apple, just adding a little more perspective.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Don't mind paying for genuine and significant enhancements.

But we were shafted when buying OS X, then OS X.1 (patch) then jaguar and then Panther and not DVDSP3

The worrying thing is that the future patches will be for DVDSP V3 only and the bug fixing on V2 will cease.

Regards P
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #5
Trustee

You're right Ken, I forgot about the Mac software update feature, which should in theory be the equivalent of MS's. Not knowing exactly the breakdown of what new was offered with each paid installment of OSX, I only know of the new features/functions that have actually been beneficial to us, and unfortunately there haven't been any. The fixes and patches, however, have been of much use - but those we shouldn't have had to pay for those specifically.

But I guess it all depends on who's defining what is a fix or update or patch, and what is a new feature or new functionality. Having a previous history working in the software industry, I can tell you that Marketing defines this - there's no real rule of law, regardless of how it may be defined in the internal engineering books of the software vendor.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This is strange, as Final Cut Pro HD is a free upgrade to FCP 4 users.

According to the Apple site, you only qualify for a free upgrade to DVDSP V3 if you bought V2 yesterday (18th). Anyone who bought it on the 17th probably isn't going to be too pleased.

Having bought FCP 4 myself only last week, I could have been in the same position.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

DVDSP 3 has one cool feature I like, seeing your menus and a branching from the main one (with lines indicating the buttons that bring up the other menus) is nice. But I'll hold off. My buddy says it sounds like that and Motion are Apple's way to compete with Adobe's similar products (remember the drop in price to $499 on DVDSP last year after Adobe announced their version?).

BUT, I'll still buy Apple products. Oh and FCP HD is really FCP 4.5.

heath
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #8
New Boot

Dudes.... the DTS output feature.... right there is worth more
than $200.

Regards,

Chris
Chris Hendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #9
Major Player

no kidding... what is the alt price?
look at motion> $299
I bought combustion last august and got the vs.3 upgrade free but it's a $999 package. (((down from $2799))) It seems that it's a certain way to keep the products updating. That's fine with me. DSP I purchased for $500... vs.1 thought I got a huge deal. That being said they should have a 3 month retro on all upgrades but what can you do... (petition?>?) I'm more upset with Bush reappropriating my tax dollars from Afg to Irq... oops no politics.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Major Player

man. I just tried to read what I just posted and realized I made absolutely no sense.
what is the price of the alternative?

I bought dsp vers.1 for $500 used, back when it was $1K thought that was a deal...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite