DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

iMovie 09 to FCP 6/7

Would like to know if anyone has had success or problems in importing an iMovie 09 project into FCP 6 or 7?

Specifically:

- Capture footage into iMovie utilizing NeoScene.
- Edit project in iMovie (w/NeoScene).
- Transfer finished edited project over to FCP 6/7.

Just curious if this can be done without to many hiccups along the way.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It is easy just export XML to Final Cut. The movie will come in as a sequence and then you can cut and paste.

I have found that the new small camera I purchased the Sony XR500V will only give smooth footage imported into iMovie. So then I export to FC with XML and it works great.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
It is easy just export XML to Final Cut. The movie will come in as a sequence and then you can cut and paste.
** So I take it that the XML is an export option in iMovie 09...is that correct? So then I would open up FC and import that file....is that how you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I have found that the new small camera I purchased the Sony XR500V will only give smooth footage imported into iMovie. So then I export to FC with XML and it works great.
** I was thinking of getting that cam too!! How do you like it?! .... Oh and thank you for the informative reply!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
** So I take it that the XML is an export option in iMovie 09...is that correct? So then I would open up FC and import that file....is that how you do it?
The XML export option is basically a list of cut points that iMovie gives to FCP which then imports the original files & applies those edits. You are limited to simple transitions & does not export music, titles etc. but can be useful e.g. to do a rough edit on the road on a laptop that would struggle with FCP.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes it is iMovie 09 the latest.

But Nigel is correct I would not use iMovie for editing. I am only using it since FC will not properly import from the XR500V. Once it is in FC I have all of my options when I put it in a sequence not the iMovie sequence that came in.

As for the XR500V the jury is still out. I used it on a job yesterday where the EX1 was the A camera and the XR500V was in a housing in and out of the water. I have not looked at the footage yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite