exporting clips from a batch capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM   #1

exporting clips from a batch capture

I am new to FCP and have approached many things in the program the same way I did with premiere - which could be a good or a bad thing.

Most recently, I tried capturing my video clips using the batch capture function so as to save wear on my heads. in premiere, I capture all the footage and then go back and cut out the clips i want to use and export them as DV AVI files with a more appropriate name and repeat, deleting the large batch capture file from my hard drive once I have gotten all the clips I needed.

But in FCP I am having troubles doing this - I cant export anything but the entire clips regardless of whether or not I cut the clip up and select only that to be edited (like i could in premiere)

any suggestions?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I want to make sure I understand what you mean before I answer.

You are exporting FROM your camera TO Final Cut Pro, right? Not the other way around..?

You need to look in the manual for the Capture methodology, it's really simple.

As you are looking at the footage in the log/capture window you can set an in and out point, give that clip a name and move on to the next clip you are going to capture and do the same.

Once you are done logging the entire tape or the portion you are interested in you click the Batch and it rewinds the tape and plays and captures the clips into FCP.

Are you talking about doing it that way or capturing the whole thing at the same time and then going in and selecting your clips to save wear on the heads?
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:58 PM   #3

thanks for the reply.
yes, i am talking about capturing video from my camera TO my computer. so your answer was helpful.
but i was talking about batch capturing the entire footage (i film surfing, so a day of filming) and then saving only my desired clips. i no longer have a DV deck and i fear that the huge amount of ff and rw will kill my gl2's heads.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:21 PM   #4
Major Player

if you just want to be able to click a button and have it start capturing and then click another one to stop it then that is the easiest thing to do.

Fire up the Log & Capture screen.

When the sequence you want to start with is about to start or has started, click the NOW button at the bottom and it will start to capture then... when you reach point where you want to stop hit the ESCAPE key.

If you want to do a mass capture but walk away from it you can go in and set the IN point and the OUT point to what you know to be the first footage on the tape and the end point to be the last footage on the tape and that will let it run through and you can go to sleep or go get a sandwich and a beer without worrying.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:50 PM   #5

kevin,
thanks for getting back to me on this so quickly each time - its a big help.

I am still a little confused... I will try to explain my confusion:

I have already batch captured 5 minutes of raw surfing footage. From this one clip, labeled "Mexico surf raw 1", I want to select 5 different waves which I plan to use for a video. These waves are sprinkled amongst 4.5 minutes of footage that I dont want or need to leave on my computer. What I want to do is put the Mexico raw surf clip on the timeline and use the razor tool to cut out the various waves that I want to use for the future. Once I have done that and have the in and out points for these waves the way that I want them, I want to export each one separately as quicktime files and rename them so that I can put them in a folder on my harddrive and use them for videos later.
The problem that I am running into is not in the batch capture, but in the export process. I choose file>export and it seems that whatever setting I choose, FCP exports the entire 5 minute clip (not the small clip that i just cut out from the larger one using the razor tool)
Adobe Premiere had a way of just cutting a large clip and then selecting it and choosing file>export>clip.... Im sure there is a way that FCP can do the same thing but I just dont see it.

I hope this has made my intentions a little bit more clear and I thank you again for your help.

JR
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #6

i thought i had this figured out with markers but i still cant get the footage in just clips...

how do you export a clip from FCP?
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #7
Major Player

sorry... I am not near my computer right now but as I understand your problem you should set your in and out points in your clips (leaving good handles for transitions and slight edit changes) drop them into a sequence and save it.

Then go into Media Manager and in there you can tell it to get rid of the parts that aren't being used and also give them a little more handle room.

I'm pretty sure that's it but check the manual and i know it spells it out in there.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #8

excellent, thanks alot. i will try that - i think i can get the manual from apples support site right?
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #9
Warden

No, the documentation is include in the program. Open FCP and go to the Help Menu, or from any software open Help and choose FCP Help. There is no online manual. You can review our book section for recommendations of good books to compliment FCP.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite