Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #16
New Boot

Adding Hard Drive

Hi. .
I am reading with interest the posts on this thread. I am new to this and have some questions.
I want to add a hard drive for video scratch disc.
I will be using Final Cut Express 2.
I have a G5 1.8 dual with 160GB in one slot.
I will be capturing 8mm and VHS through a Canopus ADVC100 till I get a DV camera.

My projects will be under 60 minutes. Will this 250GB drive handle the needs of scratch, capture, render, and storage leaving the 160GB for my system? From what I am reading, I can add a 250 GB to the empty slot and should be fine?

I found two drives on newegg, (they cost more than pricewatch,) but I am not sure what OEM, "Barebone" means.

Any feedback, comments, suggestions greatly appreciated.
Loretta Shigo

REFURBISHED: Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 6Y250MO, OEM Drive Only (OEM, BAREBONE)
$154.00
Model# 6Y250MO
Item # N82E16822144338R
Specifications:
Capacity: 250GB
Average Seek Time: 9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: S.M.A.R.T. compliance features
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

All Products> Hard Drives > MAXTOR > N82E16822144327
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 7Y250M0, OEM Drive Only
$199.00
Model# 7Y250M0
Item # N82E16822144327

Specifications:
Capacity: 250GB
Average Seek Time: 9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: S.M.A.R.T. compliance features
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only
Loretta Shigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:57 AM   #17
Major Player

I think I'd stay away from a refurbished drive. I could be wrong but why take a chance on a drive that has already been returned once? It sort of like reusing tapes on critical projects.

Given that you are in the US I'd keep a close watch on sales this weekend. CompUSA often has some really good deals on drives over the holidays. You should be able to get the Maxtor SATA drive on sale for at least the online prices and the smaller Seagata SATA drive often goes on sale (with rebate) for $100. Same is true for the externals. I picked up all of my externals on really good holiday sales (2 Western Digital, 1 Maxtor). True these are rebate but so far (knock wood) I've gotten the rebates. If there is no CompUSA near you then check the prices online (I'd check tomorrow and Sunday).

I've been editing a project on the maxtor drive for a few weeks and it's really nice. I thik the drive RAM makes some difference but it could be imaginary.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite