How Does FCE Handle 16:9 data on a 4:3 Camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 9th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #16
New Boot

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question:

Is there anyway to distort an entire sequence instead of having to do it with every clip? I already edited all my clips into the timeline and just now realized that I should have cropped them first...

Quote:
<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : OK, now I understand. Here's what I would do in FCP, hopefully it will be similar to FCE.

1. After capturing your footage view its Item Properties and make sure the Anamorphic 16:9 box is set. This should already be the case if you captured it as 16:9. Open the clip; you should see a vertically squashed, letterboxed image inside a widescreen viewer window.

2. Click on the Motion tab at the top of the viewer window, then click on the little triangle next to the Distort property. This will reveal a set of 4 coordinate pairs for the Upper Left, Upper Right, Lower Right and Lower Left corners of the image. Modify the numbers in the right-hand column such that the eight boxes read as follows:

-360, -320
360, -320
360, 320
-360, 320

3. Congratulations, you now have created an anamorphic 16:9 image! -->>>
Dave Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #17
Wrangler

What do you mean by "distort?" When you say you "should have cropped them first" does that mean you shot regular 4:3 and now want to add black bars above and below so you end up with a cropped, letterboxed 4:3 image? What format is your video currently in, and what do you want to end up with?

Sorry, you need to be much more specific in order for us to help you.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #18
New Boot

I used your method before on a test clip that I shot in widescreen mode on my camera which is really just 4:3 with black bars. By adjusting the distort properties you gave me I successfully "cropped" off the black at the top and bottom to create a 16:9 clip.

I think I know what I have to do to solve my current dilemma. I will export my sequence as DV then import it back into FCE - should be lossless, correct? Then I'll adjust the distort property and fix my movie for viewing on my 16:9 TV. Sound good?
Dave Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #19
Wrangler

That should work fine. However, I suggest you try a little test first. From what I've seen, most HDTV's have very good image scaling hardware inside them. If you just leave your letterboxed footage alone you should be able to select a widescreen mode on your TV that will enlarge it to fill the entire screen (on my Sony 16:9 LCD monitor this is called "zoom mode").

My guess is that you'll get a nicer looking image this way as compared to scaling with FCP/FCE which really doesn't do all that great a job. Try an A/B test with a couple short clips and see what you think....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #20
New Boot

Thanks Boyd.
Dave Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite