More RAM? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I don't own a Powerbook.

What I can tell you is that RAM is many times faster than hard drives- roughly 60X faster. Hard drives are decently fast, but RAM is much, much faster. The difference between a 5400rpm and 7200rpm drive is not great compared to any hard drive versus RAM.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #17
Warden

External drives have a place in editing and vastly improve the performance when editing with FCP on a PowerBook. I've had three PowerBooks over the years, 400Ti, 800Ti and now a 1.25 Al like the original poster. All have benefited from increasing the ram to at least 1Gb and using an external FW drive for capture and as a scratch disk. I'm not trying to debate the speed between ram and an HD. But external drives add speed, convenience and safety to your projects.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Anyone tried using that RAM Disk program from Apples' website yet?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/ramdiskcreator.html

RAM is almost 100x faster than 5400 rpm HD. Too bad I have only 512 megs of RAM.
Joe Calalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Joe, In addition to my desktop system I edit remotely from time to time and used to do so on a 550mhz tibook with 256mb of ram. It worked. I'm currently on a 1ghz with 512mb. If you do end up getting 2gb of ram I'll possibly take your spare 512...

as far as multiple undo's go as a measurement of ram usage- never heard that one before. I always assumed the machine 'remembered' steps and repeated them unless it was render based.

In photoshop if you're working on a 100mb file and you create 5 more adjustment layers- guess what? 500mb of ram would be a good place to start... video ediitng is a snap next to photo imaging or video compositing. Unless you do lots of that I'd focus on faster storage or more storage... then ram (actually then cards (just not on the lappy) than ram)...
good luck
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Adjustment layers in 8 bit Photoshop files don't increase the file size significantly. In 16 bit the change is pretty dramatic(more than double).

I have heard that for Photoshop usage you should have three to five times the amount of ram as the file size you are working on.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hmm I never really tried things out. But I did notice that on large complicated projects (where the project size gets up to 11-30MB), more RAM does improve performance. From 256MB to 512MB is a night and day difference. From 512MB to 768MB seems to be an improvement, but I might have been imagining it.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite