DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 27th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #1
New Boot

NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2005

Durability of external harddrives

I am running away to a faraway place that is humid and inhospitable to computers to log an absurd amount of footage from a seven year documentary. I am using a titanium G4 laptop that is finicky about firewire. I plan to log from deck to laptop and then save it on external drives. Questions: 1) Are some external firewire harddrive models/brands more reliabe/durable than others. If so, which takes a licking and keeps on ticking? 2) Which is more reliable/durable 4-250 drives or 1-raid terra bite? Many thanks!
Pam Timpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

External video

Hi all

Just wondering if there is a way to playback the timeline both on my powebook and to firewire (to an external tv via camera) at the same time.

It looks like it's either one or the other.

Also, the clips in the timeline do not require rendering to playback on the powerbook but when I send to external video via firewire it show as requiring rendering (I've added a colour correction). Is there any way for it to just give me preview quality via firewire??? It's really a nusiance having to render everything all the time just to view on an external monitor.

Any help appreciated....
Donie
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

LumiereHD not needed, edit JVC HDV for free TODAY

After Apostolos Nikolakopoulos' rant on lumiereHD, I started playing around with a friend's JVC HDV camera and Final Cut Pro 4.5HD. I soon realised that any other software is totally unnecessary.

1- I used Apple's DVHSCap (from their latest FireWire SDK, available on their Apple.com developer's site for free) to capture a few minute of footage.

2- I DL Mpeg Streamline from versiontracker.com (freeware) and used it to DEmux the .m2t transport stream clips into .aiff + .m2v files. This does not alter your tracks, it separates them. Then, delete the .m2t for extra space.

3-I open the .m2v clips and using QT Pro with MPEG2 component (which I would guess everybody working in fcp has) and Export to DVCPRO HD 1280X720p frame rate is 29.97 just as my .m2v was in quicktime (it wasn't 30). The file I end up with is, to naked eye) A CARBON COPY OF MY MASTER (quality-wise) even when blown up to 200%.

4- I import that .mov DVCPRO HD clip into FCP and edit away in real time!
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

transcripting advice

My editing process involves a lot of transcipting, so I can collobrate with technical advisors across the country. Does anybody have any words on making my transcripting process more efficient, it's quite a laborious process. Is there technology that can help with this?

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

synchronized suicide

ive been having this problem. after capturing a few minutes of tape, i playback the footage in fcp. each time I get about 4 seconds of a gray matte looking image while my audio has already started. then my video starts to come in, you guessed it, 4 seconds late. what is going on?

heath
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #6
Trustee

Freeware utility to view DV file date/time

While searching for a freeware utility for Windows to view the date/time of a DV file I stumbled across one for Mac OS X. I thought I would share it with you Mac users in case it would be of help to any of you. It's called DVFileDateCM, and can be downloaded from http://www.trixsoftware.com/DVFileDateCM.html.

Oh, and if any of you would happen to know of something similar for Windows I would be grateful. I came up empty handed. You can reply to my original thread here.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:40 AM   #7
Tourist

reds and oranges

The reds and oranges in my footage looks fine on the monitor but when I capture it (or even when just viewing them in the capture viewer screen) on FCP on mac, or Imovie, the reds and oranges have halos around and jagged stairstepping look.
Everything look fine on the camera viewer and playing the footage on TV, but when it comes to viewing on computer it gets massy.
Here are two examples as what it looks like:
http://home.comcast.net/~toddgunnerson/vidhelp/shirt.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~toddgunnerson/vidhelp/lamp.jpg

I am shooting in Advanced 24P and capturing in 24p advanced pull down. Is this something related to compression?
I would appreciate your help
thanks for reading.
matt
Menguc Tanriseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #8
New Boot

24p video looks blurry in FCP 3

Greetings everyone,

I have this problem. I shot my video on a DVX 100 Panasonic camera in 24P Standard mode, thick. I have Final Cut Pro 3. I'm editing on a 29.97 timeline and I imported the media as 29.97. When I put video clips on the timeline, it plays back fine and I don't have to render it.

However, when I adjust the speed of a clip, e.g. I change the speed from 100% to 75%, thereby making the clip longer and forcing me to render it, the playback of the video becomes blurry. When I take the video and reverse it, it does the same thing.

I'm thinking it's because I'm not using a 24p timeline. Apparently that feature is not available in FCP 3, but available in FCP 4. When I adjust the speed of a clip, it probably has to "blend" in the frames and because the media is 24 frames and I'm editing on a 29.97 timeline, that throws it out of wack and that's why it's blurry

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks,

Anthony Faust
Anthony Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

fcp and fx1

Anyone have any information about when final cut pro will support the sony fx1 without a third party add on to capture the video?
Deron Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #10
Major Player

upgraded g3 b&w and lost ata 66 drives-any ideas ?

hello - I just upgraded my old g3 to jaguar from os9.1 on a 6 gig partitioned HD- half running the OS and half running FCP. This computer was configured by a dealer and it has 4 x 25g ata66 deskstars . I also upgraded fcp to v3 from v1.25 on the other side. the good news is that it runs fcp 3 like a champ - the bad news is I've lost my 100 gigs of storage. When I installed jaguar , it told me that it would have to erase to install. So I figure I've lost the drivers . Would it be easier to buy some new ata's since the controller is in place? Do they come with new software ? Or a firewire? They're alot cheaper now than when these 25 gigs were the top of the heap . Thanks for any ideas . Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #11
New Boot

using motion and FCP

hi ppl..

planning to get a dual 2.5....
wanted to get the graphics card to Geforce 9800 ultra with 256 Ram...

(a) apparently, some ppl are telling me that its unstable...
true? anyone?

(b) or is the Radeon 6800 or the Geforce 9800 sufficient?

thks,
bernard
(singapore)
Bernard Ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #12
Major Player

FCP 4.5 shortcut problems

After recently upgrading to 4.5 I suddenly realised that the F9 and F10 commans didn't work anymore.. (or they weren't working as supposed anyway..) has anybody else had the same problem?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:56 PM   #13
Regular Crew

"HD in MOTION" Industry Event

Spread Holiday Cheer with the BOSFCPUG!

The Boston Final Cut Pro User Group, HB Communications and Boris FX invite you to combine cutting edge innovations in HD editing and motion graphics with a few cocktails while networking with Boston's filmmaking and motion design community. See firsthand the powerful features in Final Cut Pro HD, Boris Continuum Complete and Motion, Apple's high-performance motion graphic design and production application.

"HD in MOTION" Industry Event and Party
Where: Parris (enter through Ned Devine's), One Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Quincy Market Building 2nd Floor
When:_ Tuesday, December 14, 2004
Times: Doors Open at 6 pm; 6:30 pm-9:30 pm; party following with DJ music
Cost: $5 donation (open to the public)

Join us for presentations on how three time Academy Award-winning editor Walter Murch uses Final Cut Pro and what this means for Cinema; how Apple's motion graphics software MOTION works as a creative powerhouse with plug-ins like Boris Continuum Complete; and how AJA's new Kona 2 capture card was used with Final Cut Pro HD to cover baseball from the MLB Division Series through the World Series Championship Games.

After the presentations, stay for a party to socialize with your peers and enjoy the music.

Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar will be available throughout the evening. After the presentations, stay to socialize with your peers, pick the brains of industry gurus or just enjoy the music. Holiday Raffle features the AJA Io LD, the new FireStore FS-4 portable hard disk recorder, Boris Continuum Complete and other cool prizes.

For complete info and to register to attend, please visit:
http://www.bosfcpug.org

See you December 14th!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM   #14
Major Player

ClipLink question

Does FCP4 recognize ClipLink?

I wanna buy one of those tapes for my Ike 7 to experiment, seems like it could be handy if it works.
It creates a thumbnail with recird info everytime you hit the rec button, is that right?
But if you still have to digitize the tape to see the thumbnalis, whats the advantage?
thanks.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #15
Major Player

AZ FCP User Group Meeting: 01/12

Phoenix area FCP Users! Please join us on January 12th from 6:30-9:00pm for the new AZ FCP User Group.

Take this opportunity to get in on the ground floor with a new User Group. Not only will this month's meeting be very informative, but we will make some exciting announcements about upcoming events through NAB in April.

Here's the link to the flyer for the 01/12 meeting. Feel free to pass this along to anyone interested in FCP.

http://members.cox.net/azscott/AZFCP...2005_small.jpg

(mods: If this is the wrong place to post this, please use my contact info on the flyer)
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite