how long does it take to learn Final Cut? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how long does it take to learn Final Cut?

I've basically been using iMovie for the past three years, I was wondering how long it would take to learn Final Cut from scratch.. Would probably need some sort of tutorial as well. When I open it, it seems extremely complicated, so I'm very discouraged, but at the same time I know I can't just use iMovie forever. Anyone have any comments?
Andres Bant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In terms of a tutorial, I'd recommend the Apple pro training series book on FCP HD by Diane Weynand. I've been using it to teach myself FCP and it's great.

How long it'll take to learn really depends on how quickly you can pick up the interface and how much time you have to sit in front of your Mac. On average, it takes about 60 to 75 minutes to go through a lesson. There's twenty one lessons. I finish some lessons somewhat fast, while others take me a little longer.

If you can move through the book quickly and retain all the info (there's alot), than you could very well have a grasp of FCP in a couple of days.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Forget everything you know about iMovie. FCP is not the same at all. I would suggest the books by Tom Wolsky, published by CMP books.

www.fcpbook.com
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Start with the tutorials that come with FCP (at least version 3 had this). Using that I was able to get going with almost everything I needed. It walks you through most of common things you would want to do. If you need more, check out the books, but I'd suggest starting with what came free with they software. I'm a computer geek though, so the learning curve might be different, but you'll definitely learn how to capture and do basic editing.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #5
Wrangler

Any recommendations for DVD training discs for Final Cut Pro?
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I had some prior experience with other, older edit systems. Get the book, and just jump in the water. When you get to where you cant figure something out, look it up in the book. There's nothing like a project or session to make you learn.
Okay- you might not want to do that with a client, but just get in there!

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #7
Major Player

in answer to the top question:

No matter what you think you know about FCP, you will always learn new stuff.

BUT the basics of editing are the basics of editing. The stay the same whether you are cutting film on a moviola machine or using AVID or FCP. The basics are the most important things to learn.

That means that if you go over to ebay or Half.com and buy a FCP 2 or 3 book cheap it will still teach you the basics you need to know for any version of FCP. It hasn't changed much, just added bells and whistles. Save some money if you are intent on spending some to learn the basics.

I would recommend (for a beginner) the Powerstart CD from DVCreators.net. Not the cheapest but it will lead you through a fair number of lessons going over the basics in a short period of time and if you are like most you will learn faster watching it then reading in a book and trying to follow along.

I would second the going through the tutorials that came with FCP first and then start from there.

Tom Wolsky has a couple of books out there that are basic lessons that go through a project and they're pretty good.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite