Recreating Menu on Existing DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Recreating Menu on Existing DVD

Ok, bear with me, I'm completely new to video editing...

I have a finished movie on DVD that I need to recreate the menu for. The existing menu has a blank chapter that needs to be deleted and some subindexes that need to be removed. I have iLife on my Mac Pro and Toast 10 to work with.

1st off, can I achieve this in Toast without having to convert to another file format? I'd like to avoid any unnecessary compression or other degradation.

I've tried dragging the Video_TS file from the existing DVD to DVD-Video in Toast with prefs set to NOT set chapter markers, then again set to add them automatically. I do an Extract which brings the video into Toast Video Player... and this is where things get a little foggy... I'm setting the markers using the little double triangle at the bottom center of the window. From here, how do I use this file to burn a disc image with these new markers?

After going rounds with Toast, I figured maybe I'd try iDVD but it seems with this program I am required to convert the video to another file format in order to work with it. I figured I start in this forum 1st. All help is appreciated!
Michael Szromba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Trustee

There's no way to extract menu information from a DVD. The individual pieces are simply not there, they have all been compressed together into one stream.

You're only options are to re-extract the footage (use Toast for this). Then create a new menu from scratch using what ever video you can extract from the disc and creating new menus from scratch. Sorry.....

If someone had saved the DVD project file and the individual elements, then you could recreate it, but not after the DVD has been "muxed" and everything has been compressed together. Sorry.....
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
There's no way to extract menu information from a DVD. The individual pieces are simply not there, they have all been compressed together into one stream.

You're only options are to re-extract the footage (use Toast for this). Then create a new menu from scratch using what ever video you can extract from the disc and creating new menus from scratch. Sorry.....

If someone had saved the DVD project file and the individual elements, then you could recreate it, but not after the DVD has been "muxed" and everything has been compressed together. Sorry.....
Right, to clarify... the question I have is how to set chapter markings in toast so that I can create a menu. Thx!
Michael Szromba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Sorry, there's no way that I know of to create chapter markers in Toast.

The only suggestions I have for you is to try using one of the free (and illegal) DVD extraction tools available on the net. (Mac The Ripper, etc...) You could then RIP the MPEG-2 file off the disc, import it into DVDStudio Pro, set some new chapter markers, create new menus and then recreate a new DVD.

Sorry I can't be of more help....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite