Apple introduces new iBooks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 19th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Warden

Apple introduces new iBooks

Apple has introduced 3 new iBooks, all G4 powered. One new 12 inch, 1.2GHz G4 iBook, $999 and two 14 inch, 1.33GHz iBooks, $1299 and $1499. the only real difference in the 14 inch iBooks is the SuperDrive.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah I know, I saw that. I just sold my 800 MHz iBook and got me a 1 Ghz eMac.
David Bermejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Jeff,
What do you think about these for working FCP4 & a FW drive in the field?
Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:26 PM   #4
Warden

It would work if you loaded it up on ram, at least 1GB. The screens a little small for my taste, but again, workable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Korrow : What do you think about these for working FCP4 & a FW drive in the field? -->>>

Chris, because the Video chip in the new iBooks (Radeon 9200) is not currently listed as supporting Apple's next generation CoreVideo or current Motion, I would caution that these iBooks might not be supported by the next version of FCP. Pure speculation, maybe irrelevant to your needs, but perhaps something to consider.
Duane Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:30 PM   #6
Warden

You may be right Duane, but it would be a big mistake on Apple's part if iBooks couldn't run the latest (meaning next version) version of FCP. iBooks are becoming a staple on campuses. Not being able to run FCP would hurt.

Old October 28th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the reponse.

My needs for right now is just to have someting to capture on, check footage & do rough edits. I'd hate to fork out the money for a PBook for just a dozen or so real uses a year. The key here of course is the "right now" part.

I'd rather upgrade to a G5 at some point, but how would a PBook 1.5Ghz be for a main editing system? If i went for a PBook I'd like to get more use out of it. Right now I'm running an EMac 1Ghz and it works fine, for what I'm doing, though as Jeff stated earier, I'd like to have a little more screen real estate.

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite