DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #1
Warden

Apple OS X 10.3.6 available

The 10.3.6 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 Panther and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:

- network volumes are now available in the Finder sidebar and Desktop for convenient access
- improved file sharing and directory services for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) PC (SMB/CIFS), PPTP, and wireless networks
- improved support for NTFS formatted volumes
- improved reliability of user logins, mounting of home directories in a networked environment, and launch of network applications
- improved PostScript and USB printing
- improved font management
- improved disc burning and recording functionality
- improved Bluetooth compatibility for Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse and Bluetooth phones.
- iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync
- improved Open GL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
- updated Address Book, Calculator, Disk Utility, DVD Player, Image Capture, Mail, Safari, Stickies, and QuickTime applications
- improved compatibility for third party applications
- additional support for FireWire and USB devices
- FileVault, FireWire 800 and WebDAV improvements from Update 10.3.1
- previous standalone security updates and Bluetooth Update 1.5.1

SHA1 =230ddc45cc982f45545997abf24fab5292caef96

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300081

Apple recommends all Panther users (10.3.x) to upgrade with the combo upgrade, available here. The combo update is 92 MB.

FCP users should wait a few days to upgrade, especially if your are in the middle of a project. Repair permissions after the upgrade.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Great news, Jeff. I'll finish the project I'm working on before making the leap. Maybe then I can turn my effects back on....hopefully some FCPHD users will be early adopters.
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #3
Warden

I installed it last night (one of my machines is always a guinea pig). I'll let you know my experiences in a day or two. But if I forget, give this thread a bump in a day or two and I'll post my results.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Apple OS X 10.3.6 available - bump

Jeff, any news of your guinea pig machine and 10.3.6? I've noticed that there are several other boards where people are posting complaints about FCP HD 10.3.6, especially with regards to extrernal firewire drives and blurry picture in canvas and browser windows.

Me, I've upgraded my 15" G4 Pbook 1 ghz 1 gig ram yesterday, everything's working just fine. But interested to find out how other people are doing.

thx
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #5
Warden

My machine is not doing well. It has a random Kernel Panic about every day, while sleeping of all things. I will probably do a clean install this weekend and see if it improves. FCP seems fine with 10.3.6 though. Canvas window and FW drives are fine. It does seem to be sluggish and that may be related to the OS problems and the Kernel Panics.

Old November 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Major Player

I made the leap to 10.3.6, and FCP 4.5 runs fine on it. I've completed 2 projects without a glitch. DVD-SP also seems to run fine, as does Compressor, A.Pack & Toast Titanium. I've given it a pretty good workout. The only objectionable new "feature" is the soft video in the Viewer & Canvas windows that has been documented in many of the groups. It's only a minor issue, though, since most of the time I'm watching the external monitor.

All things considered, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones -- in fact, Bruce paid me a visit shortly after installing the upgrade!
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Some people have reported problems with some external firewire drives. I've checked all three of mine (2 Maxtors and a Western Digital) and they were all recognized but I haven't done much more than that.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #8
Major Player

The soft image in the canvas is never the less really annoying! Why would that happen anyway?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #9
Warden

Some QuickTime components were updated.

Old November 15th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #10
Major Player

I thought the fuzzy picture was just me losing my vision rapidly.
Anyone else's Safari start freaking out?
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #11
Major Player

I would recommed to one and all that when there is an update like this that you go to the apple site and download the "Combo Update".

This is the full update files and for some reason it does a better job of installing the update then through the Software Update part of OSX
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Do you mean you don't have a fuzzy image in FCP??
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #13
Major Player

I downloaded it both ways.
Same charateristics both times.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #14
Major Player

If you have not upgraded to 10.3.6 DO NOT UPGRADE.

I've found some weird problems starting with projects I've been working on for a while and I'm reading TONS of reports of issues others are having and the only common denominator is that we have all upgraded to 10.3.6

AGAIN, if you have not--- do not. Wait for a while.

Word is that 10.3.7 is in the chute but I wish I would have waited like I usually do.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #15
Major Player

Kevin,

I too am having problems after the 10.3.6 update. None of the display problems people have mentioned but just general performance issues in FCP HD. Just dragging the length of a clip in the timeline takes a few seconds to finish.

Any solutions you've heard of? I know all of the regular OS X maintenance routines and have done them with no improvements. I regularly repair permissions before and after any software installs and use combo updates when possible.

TIA, Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite