Kernel Panic Crash With Snow Leopard, SxS Card in ExpressCard/34 Slot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Kernel Panic Crash With Snow Leopard, SxS Card in ExpressCard/34 Slot

Didn't have this problem before, but I upgraded to Snow Leopard (love it!) and today I put in an SxS card into a MacBook Pro 17's ExpressCard/34 slot (3.06 GHz and 8GB RAM) and got a Kernal Panic/crash. Happened three times including putting the card in and booting up.

I also tried to use the EX1 and put it into the file transfer mode but had problems. I'll try again later.

Thoughts?

Heath
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There are a lot of complaints about the Express Cards not working with SL. This is the whole reason why I went back to 10.5.8.
Chris Leffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Hoo boy! That's not good. I'm going to try and connect the EX1 directly which should be fine. I can live with SL for a while and no ExpressCard/34 until an update is made.

Heath
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

My main drive when editing is an external connected by eSATA through you guessed it an Express Card. This is the main reason why I went back. If you look at the other topic called "Worth upgrading to SL for FCP" you will see what other people have said about this problem.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Good point, Chris. I only use ExpressCard/34 for the SxS card and the Matrox MXO 2.

Heath
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Heath

Reports are surfacing that Sony are now (apparently) suggesting that they will have new SL compatible SxS drivers out later this month (September) ... bear in mind that Sony are notoriously slack at delivering promised updates on time, but this is surely an improvement on their previous position (that being no drivers till next year!)

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

As said in the other post: Don't wait for companies to play catch up, just switch back to 10.5.8 and keep doing your work. You will not even see the true speed of SL with FCP until a 64 bit version is released. The only apps that you will see a speed increase are consumer apps and only some of them have increased speed. I forget who said this and I don't have time to look it up. Sorry
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Chris,

I've heard from solid sources that FCP 7 is ready to go now. Andy, great news!

Heath
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Now that I have time and I am not running out the door to get to class on time. I found the post that I was referring to above.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1295922-post34.html

Now in his post he says "Until all the major pro apps actually become 64-bit native there's really no need for SL." For some reason I thought he was just referring to FCP 7 and not to all the pro apps.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

I have heard that things should be faster with FCP 7 and Snow Leopard. Now, have I done any tests to compare it yet? No. But some people have and I've read that things have gotten faster in some areas of FCP 7, others about the same.

Heath
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Sounds good hopefully by the time I get my hands on a copy of FCP 7 all of these Express Cards will be ironed out. Then I will fresh install SL and FCP 7 at the same time.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

FYI, I had no issues hooking up the EX1 to the MacBook Pro and grabbing everything that way. It's working fine there, including Log and Transfer. But any update should be good!

But the ExpressCard/34 slot issue? I hope we get that resolved ASAP! I'm getting a lot more Beta SP tapes in and I can't do much with them until things get worked out, which I'm sure will happen.

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite