Status of LumiereHD and FX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 17th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

<<<You yourself just admitted that your top priority is getting something done fast....so you will take whatever is on the market and claims to work. I am stressing over a workflow right now too, but you have to forgive the camera and format for being so new.
->>>

Actually, I'm talking about buying a product which I have reason to believe will work as claimed, because I happen to already own the equivalent DV-only solution from the same company. In your case you apparently have specific requirements and limitations which discourage you from considering alternative options, even if they might be useful to you. For a relatively trivial sum you could be using PC-based HDV products to do your initial HDV capture and cutting, then output to either Avid or FCP for finishing touches, and you'd be saving so much time just on the capture step that this would more than pay for the modest investment. But don't take my word for it: go try demos of all the available HDV editing products, then report back after you've seen how long it takes to convert an hour of HDV footage to the DVCProHD format. I'd be interested to hear what you conclude about the practicality of trying to do HDV work in either Avid or FCP.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Two questions for Fredric Haubrich:
First: Thank you for being here, Fredric, we really appreciate your presence in this discussion. Congratulations on all you are achieving at Lumiere.

Question 1:
Say we buy Lumiere’s solution to import stuff from an FX1E (PAL) into a G5 running FCP-HD, work on it there, and then use DVD Studio Pro to create a finished widescreen NTSC DVD. Can we put that on a DVD-R and send it off for pressing, given the tools currently available from Apple and Lumiere?

Question 2:
We figured that in addition to the widescreen NTSC DVD described in question one, we would also have a fully-cut HDV product that we could hang onto, waiting for the Bluray (or whatever) consumer DVD market to mature. This makes sense, right?

But - surprisingly to us laymen who just USE the tools -- there appear to be a couple of hurdles to doing this:

a):::
We cannot at present export our edited HDV production back onto HDV cassettes in the FX1E retaining the full HDV resolution (is that correct?) - so we have to, what...STORE the HDV production somewhere...on an external drive, say....? Would that work while we wait for the technology to mature?

b):::
What about creating an HD DVD file using DVD Studio Pro. The DVD Studio Pro website mentions "HD" is some context but I'm not sure how to interpret it. Using our current edition of DVD Studio Pro we can certainly create great widescreen NTSC DVDs: Can we also create an HD DVD with the current edition of DVD Studio Pro? Or is that something else that we have to wait for?: An upgrade of DVD Studio Pro. If today's DVD Studio Pro won't do the job, do you know when that upgrade is anticipated?

I know you're living-and-breathing all of this every day, Frederic...many thanks for your help in bringing us all up to speed on what's happening...and what' s not.

Scott
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:09 PM   #18
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Shuster : Two questions for Fredric Haubrich:
First: Thank you for being here, Fredric, we really appreciate your presence in this discussion. Congratulations on all you are achieving at Lumiere.
Scott -->>>

You're welcome. It's been an interesting and fun ride.

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Shuster :
Question 1:
Say we buy Lumiere’s solution to import stuff from an FX1E (PAL) into a G5 running FCP-HD, work on it there, and then use DVD Studio Pro to create a finished widescreen NTSC DVD. Can we put that on a DVD-R and send it off for pressing, given the tools currently available from Apple and Lumiere?
Scott -->>>

Absolutely. The final HD master can be encoded in a Widescreen Progressive DVD with DVDSP3.

Question 2:
We figured that in addition to the widescreen NTSC DVD described in question one, we would also have a fully-cut HDV product that we could hang onto, waiting for the Bluray (or whatever) consumer DVD market to mature. This makes sense, right?
Scott -->>>

Yes it does. You can hangon to it until AVC on HD DVDs is available. I think this will be te winning HD DVD standard. ;)

Meanwhile, I also was able to include a transport stream of a shortfilm on the ROM of a DVD with VLC player. Many have been able to play this 720p file realtime from the DVD! Granted the film was only 17 min (1.5 GB).

But - surprisingly to us laymen who just USE the tools -- there appear to be a couple of hurdles to doing this:

a):::
We cannot at present export our edited HDV production back onto HDV cassettes in the FX1E retaining the full HDV resolution (is that correct?) - so we have to, what...STORE the HDV production somewhere...on an external drive, say....? Would that work while we wait for the technology to mature?
Scott -->>>

Yes, until we figure out how to get back to the SOny HDV cameras and decks, which I suspect will be soon...you can also store the TS on DVHS or disk or DVD ROM (4.5 GB is approx 45 min in 720p)

b):::
What about creating an HD DVD file using DVD Studio Pro. The DVD Studio Pro website mentions "HD" is some context but I'm not sure how to interpret it. Using our current edition of DVD Studio Pro we can certainly create great widescreen NTSC DVDs: Can we also create an HD DVD with the current edition of DVD Studio Pro? Or is that something else that we have to wait for?: An upgrade of DVD Studio Pro. If today's DVD Studio Pro won't do the job, do you know when that upgrade is anticipated?

I know you're living-and-breathing all of this every day, Frederic...many thanks for your help in bringing us all up to speed on what's happening...and what' s not.
Scott -->>>

Like described above, you can make a widescreen DVD with DVDSP3 using compressor. The reference to HD on the Apple website is about compressors ability to use HD source to create the SD MPEG DVD. Looks fantastic!

Frederic
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite