DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   How many Macs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/35970-how-many-macs.html)

Alain Aguilar December 5th, 2004 11:39 PM

How many Macs

I'm about to go buy FCHD and plan to install it on a G4. I also have a laptop that I would like to use to edit my project when I'm not at the studio. Will it be sufficient with one purchase or do I need two??

Thanks

Shane Ross December 5th, 2004 11:49 PM

Two machines...two copies of FCP.

If you want to stay legal.

Boyd Ostroff December 6th, 2004 08:23 AM

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/finalcutpro.html
Quote:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This includes the right to transfer your copy of the Apple Software licensed hereunder from an Apple G4 hardware platform to an Apple G5 platform.

Alain Aguilar December 6th, 2004 11:53 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I'll get one license and use a prevoius version that I already have on my notebook.

Thanks

Alfred Okocha December 6th, 2004 01:02 PM

You are very honest indeed! Personally I find it an aburdity that you wouldn't be able to use in private on two (private) computers.. but cudos to You!

Mark Sloan December 6th, 2004 02:46 PM

Programs like Photoshop (at least used to) check to see that only one copy with that serial number was working at one time in a company. That way the company could buy one license, have it installed on many computers, but could only be used one at a time...

Alain Aguilar December 6th, 2004 11:36 PM

"Programs like Photoshop (at least used to) check to see that only one copy with that serial number was working at one time in a company. That way the company could buy one license, have it installed on many computers, but could only be used one at a time..."

If these multiple computers were running on a shared network I suppose.

This brings me to this question, would the FC install require some kind of Internet activation?

Alex Ratson December 7th, 2004 02:45 AM

FCPHD works the same way PS CS works with regards to multiple copy’s running. When on a shared network with the same copy of FCPHD loaded on multiple computers only one machine can run it at a time. Not to say you could not terminate the network connection though. If you had a different copy of FCPHD loaded on each individual computer then you will not run into this.

Aaron Koolen December 7th, 2004 05:13 AM

Wow, that really sucks. A lot of other software allows you to install on one machine, and one more "secondary" machine provided it's used by the one owner. This helps with situations like yours with one desktop and a laptop. Bummer.

Mark Sloan December 7th, 2004 02:45 PM

"If these multiple computers were running on a shared network I suppose."
Yeah, it was based on Appletalk when I last had to deal with it (Mac OS9 computers), you could just turn Appletalk off and you could run multiple instances, but the business I worked on this for was all about following the letter of the law in this case. When it finally became a nuisance to figure out who could work on Photoshop when, they bought a 10 license package and Adobe even let them split it across 8 Macs and 2 PCs.

Kurth Bousman December 7th, 2004 07:17 PM

Have you guys ever seen the "Apple Police " in the flesh ?

Alain Aguilar December 7th, 2004 09:05 PM

"Thanks for the clarification. I'll get one license and use a prevoius version that I already have on my notebook."

I could defentelly turn AppleTalk off most of the time (except when I'm printing) being this the case let me add this to my prevoius post ---> ;)

Richard Alvarez December 8th, 2004 08:23 AM

AVID uses a dongle. They ship with MAC and PC copies , so you can put it on more that one machine. But with one dongle, one program is running. Install it as many times as you want, but it only runs with the dongle attached. That has it's own problems if you lose or break the dongle.

Mark Sloan December 8th, 2004 09:42 AM

Apple doesn't enforce it themselves, there is a special section in law enforcement that will come in, check your licenses, and write up fines. It is usually an ex-employee that calls the company who then calls law enforcement. I cannot remember the official name of the enforcement group though...

The boss had a friend whose company was investigated (only 20 employees) and was fined a significant sum... hence, his wanting to follow the rules closely...

Lee Wm. Gaudry January 12th, 2005 05:35 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman : Have you guys ever seen the "Apple Police " in the flesh ? -->>>

Ya weren't they the ones pursuing Anya Major in Ridley Scott's Macintosh Debut commercial?

Joe Gioielli January 13th, 2005 12:56 PM

You can run FCP on your Mac without being connected to the internet. When it asks if you want to reg. the software, check "later".

Alain Aguilar January 13th, 2005 08:12 PM

That's good to know. Many new programs require an Internet validation before you can star using it.