How many Macs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 5th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How many Macs

I'm about to go buy FCHD and plan to install it on a G4. I also have a laptop that I would like to use to edit my project when I'm not at the studio. Will it be sufficient with one purchase or do I need two??

Thanks
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Two machines...two copies of FCP.

If you want to stay legal.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #3
Wrangler

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/finalcutpro.html
Quote:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This includes the right to transfer your copy of the Apple Software licensed hereunder from an Apple G4 hardware platform to an Apple G5 platform.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the clarification. I'll get one license and use a prevoius version that I already have on my notebook.

Thanks
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #5
Major Player

You are very honest indeed! Personally I find it an aburdity that you wouldn't be able to use in private on two (private) computers.. but cudos to You!
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Programs like Photoshop (at least used to) check to see that only one copy with that serial number was working at one time in a company. That way the company could buy one license, have it installed on many computers, but could only be used one at a time...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

"Programs like Photoshop (at least used to) check to see that only one copy with that serial number was working at one time in a company. That way the company could buy one license, have it installed on many computers, but could only be used one at a time..."

If these multiple computers were running on a shared network I suppose.

This brings me to this question, would the FC install require some kind of Internet activation?
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

FCPHD works the same way PS CS works with regards to multiple copy’s running. When on a shared network with the same copy of FCPHD loaded on multiple computers only one machine can run it at a time. Not to say you could not terminate the network connection though. If you had a different copy of FCPHD loaded on each individual computer then you will not run into this.
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #9
Trustee

Wow, that really sucks. A lot of other software allows you to install on one machine, and one more "secondary" machine provided it's used by the one owner. This helps with situations like yours with one desktop and a laptop. Bummer.
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #10
Major Player

"If these multiple computers were running on a shared network I suppose."
Yeah, it was based on Appletalk when I last had to deal with it (Mac OS9 computers), you could just turn Appletalk off and you could run multiple instances, but the business I worked on this for was all about following the letter of the law in this case. When it finally became a nuisance to figure out who could work on Photoshop when, they bought a 10 license package and Adobe even let them split it across 8 Macs and 2 PCs.
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Have you guys ever seen the "Apple Police " in the flesh ?
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

"Thanks for the clarification. I'll get one license and use a prevoius version that I already have on my notebook."

I could defentelly turn AppleTalk off most of the time (except when I'm printing) being this the case let me add this to my prevoius post ---> ;)
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #13
Inner Circle

AVID uses a dongle. They ship with MAC and PC copies , so you can put it on more that one machine. But with one dongle, one program is running. Install it as many times as you want, but it only runs with the dongle attached. That has it's own problems if you lose or break the dongle.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Apple doesn't enforce it themselves, there is a special section in law enforcement that will come in, check your licenses, and write up fines. It is usually an ex-employee that calls the company who then calls law enforcement. I cannot remember the official name of the enforcement group though...

The boss had a friend whose company was investigated (only 20 employees) and was fined a significant sum... hence, his wanting to follow the rules closely...
Old January 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #15
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman : Have you guys ever seen the "Apple Police " in the flesh ? -->>>

Ya weren't they the ones pursuing Anya Major in Ridley Scott's Macintosh Debut commercial?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite