DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 21st, 2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cant export a good quality video from FCP

Ok, im still having the same problem I had expressed a while back. I have created an edited short in FCP4. Anytime I export it to a video file...example quicktime conversion, the picture is very pixellated. I was told to do it in mpeg2 form, however that is not an option when I got into quicktime conversions and look under the tab. There are plenty of options including mpeg4 but no 2. Also if I go to use compressor, it acts as if it were pulling up the compressor but nothing happens...you know that phantom window outline that springs open but there is nothing there.

Can someone help me? I would like to get this into a file to use on a dvd that just as decent quality when watched on a tv.

Thanks
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2
Major Player

You can use iDVD or DVD Studio Pro to turn your FCP video into a dvd. They have their own MPEG-2 compressor. If all you want is a DVD then that is the way to go. (if you have toast 6 you can use that as well)
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:13 AM   #3
Major Player

To add to Mark's post...

You can either use Compressor to export your timeline in mpeg 2 for for DVD SP or iDVD...or simply export as a Quicktime Movie...NOT Quicktime compression. The exported QT movie will be the exact same format as your source footage (DV), and when you bring the footage into iDVD or DVD SP, it will convert it for you.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help so far. Ok i went and had everything exported out of FCP with quicktime movie. Although when watched I still saw the lines(pixelated only with horizontal lines) but figured maybe that wont end up on the dvd. So I took that into dvdSP and did build and burn and it said formatting failed. Could this be due to an incompatible type of dvd-r I am using?

Any ideas would be helpful.

I am using a plextor dvd burner and the dvd-r's are verbatim.
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

anybody?
Old December 24th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Did you try it only once? Did it attempt to convert and burn or did it freak out at the very beginning?

Open your FCP movie in QT, goto Window->Show Movie Info and tell us what it says. Maybe the export isn't correct.
Old January 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry for the delay, i was on vacation and had no way to write.

OK it says
Carbon Copy

Format DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, 720x 480, Millions, Integer (big endian), Stereo, 4800Hz. 16bitz

Movie: FPS 29.97

Data size: 1256 MB

Data Rate: 3.6 MB/Sec

Current 00:00:00;00

Duration 00:05:47;19

Normal size 720x480 pixels

Current size 720x480 pixels.

No it takes a while before giving up, but it doesnt get past the first stage, intializing or whatever it is...
Thanks for your help I sure could use it.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Dont give up on me now!
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Major Player

I don't have DVD SP, so I really couldn't tell you what else to try in that realm. Have you tried iDVD to see if it is the file or the program?
Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Major Player

If using Final Cut Pro, make sure you are exporting as "QuickTime Movie" NOT Using "QuickTime Conversion".

In FCP, as opposed to FCE, the export choice for a self containe FCP move is labled "QuickTime Movie" or maybe just "QuickTime". There is another choice labled "Use QuickTime Conversion" or something to that extent. That is what you DO NOT want to use.

If using Final Cut Express, export as "Self Contained Movie" with audio and video, not a reference movie.

In iDVD preferences make sure you have priority for High Quality selected rather than Priority for Speed (Not sure if it's worded that way though). That is the only way to change the bit rate in iDVD.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I am using FCP and have used Quicktime movie not conversion...
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM   #12
Major Player

The specs on your exported file look correct. So I would assume it is something with DVD SP, but try iDVD to see if it will work the file or not.
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just burned it using toast and it worked. The problem must then be with settings in DVDSP itself...anyone have any ideas?
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #14
Tourist

I exported a FCP sequence to Quicktime, (no conv.) and it is 5:52 long, 1.24GB, very similar to what you rec'd. Imported it into iDVD, to verify quality. iDVD was set for Best Quality. On my laptop, the QT movie looks slightly pixelated, but only on the horizontal. On the TV after burning a DVD, picture quality was excellent.

Are you watching the QT movie on your system when you see the pixelation?
What version of DVD SP are you using?
Joe Matiacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The horizontal pixelation is most noticable when taking it onto a larger screen such as my television set.

The big problem however is getting SP to work. I have an entire dvd menu set up waiting to burned. It is version 2.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite