FCP/FCE on the Mac Mini? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM   #31
Major Player

Another point to be made is the portability benefits. I can think of at least 10 w/o trying . To have a whole inprocess or finished project in that form factor has alot of potential . Everyone I know has a 19" monitor in their home or office . It's about half of the weight of a 17" LT and alot easier to carry , not to mention the price . Also , usually carrying DT's across international borders is a pain in the tuckus . For artists , art galleries , museums or anyone involved in video or digital photography for multimedia presentation , it's a jewel. Not to mention I can carry it in and out of Mexico without the aduana hitting me up for a bribe, I'll buy one in the next few months for sure! However, I'll probably run fce instead of pro . And who knows , maybe the new imovie will be sooo cool ( the less technology there is between the vision and the completion , the more perfect the work - my humble opinion ). But , I think if you want to run pro , your better off getting a new imac . If you don't need to expand and you can afford to put 1.5 or 2 gigs of ram in the imac , it also is the perfect high end machine - 2 grand with a 20" lcd . Yes the mini for video users WILL cost more than $500 - I'd buy the 80gig drive , airport and bluetooth and get at least 512 ram ( ram cost for this machine will come down fast and there will be good instruction on how to do it yourself ) I'd also bypass the superdrive and opt for a lacie dvd burner instead ( only $100 more )But the mini is going to be in my pocket soon . I predict they become so ubiquitous, they'll replace the dollar-Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM   #32
Major Player

Hey Guys - well I tried to order one last week but it listed a Feb 14th ship date so I waited in line at my local MAC store (I felt awfully weird, like a traitor) early this morning and got one of around 20 -30 that were available (they sold out in the first rush of people after opening the doors!, I ended up getting the 1.4). Also, I installed the 1 gig of memory this afternoon which is not difficult, just a bit scary at first, it takes some force and tools. Anyways, my bday is tommorow so I'm going to be busy all today and tommorow so Monday, I'm going to give a proper review with pics and anecdotes etc. so stay tuned for that. - Just as a quick teaser though, I must say I'm very impressed, but more later ;) .
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:32 PM   #33
Trustee

Great stuff Bryan - and Happy Birthday!

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite