DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #1
Contributor

Removing XL1 tape transport hum?

Hi. I am working on postproduction on a documentary shot mainly with an XL1 (no S). When the camera-mounted mic is used, there is a distinct hum, presumambly coming from the tape transport. I am using Final Cut and have been trying to remove the hum but I can't seem to find the exact frequency. Has anybody experienced this, found the frequency and succesfuully removed it? It shouldn't be difficult, but for some reason I can't seem to get it right. Any suggestions?

I have been considering exporting the whole project to Digital Performer --my main audio tool-- where I can preview the audio while affecting an equalizer's parameters in real time... just to find the frequency! Nuts!
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

A third party app like "Sound Soap" will help, but I am afraid exporting it for work is going to be the solution.

Quick question, did the XL1 you used, have a FU-1000 viewfinder? If so, this is likely the source of your hum, rather than the transport mechanism. The viewfinder comes with a microphone shield to prevent interference, and if you leave it off, their is a POSSIBILITY the mic will pick up some hum. Not always though.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Contributor

It was the default color LCD viewfinder, not BW CRT, but I don't know the model. The hum is low pitched, I think the fundamental is somewhere between 100 and 200 Hz, so by default I expected it to be from the transport. I tend to relate displays, especially CRTs, to high frequency noise.
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Try working backwards.
Use a parametric/notch EQ filter to boost a very narrow range of frequencies. Adjust the frequency range until you make the problem really bad, then notch out that frequency and all the relevant harmonics.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Contributor

Tried that trick, and ended up focusing on 105 Hz, but the hum wouldn't totally go away. I just thought that maybe the Xl1, being such a popular camera, had a well known noise so perhaps some of you great folk had been though this and found the exact frequency. I'll post again if I end up finding a frequency or set of frequencies that better match the noise. Thank You for the help.
Old January 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm cutting a doc right now, that I shot on an XL1 and my new XL2. I've never had transport noise on the XL1, though I did have a very very high pitched noise imparted by the 16x. Shipped it back to Canon, and they cleaned the contacts, and 'changed a fuse' in the lens.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite