DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Royalty Free/Buyout Music?

I'm looking in to purchasing a buyout music collection, and I'm looking for suggestions as to what some good or well known collections are. I do a lot of news production, so I could use a collection with some good news themes. I'm new to the buyout music scene, so any pointers as to good collections would be extremely helpful!

I'm looking at DigitalJuice's BackTraxx. Any reviews of these? The music seems pretty good, but I have a question about the license agreement (can anyone help me with this?) It says,

"1. The Music may be used, altered, or incorporated according to the guidelines described herein into any production (including but not limited to, broadcast, commercial, industrial, educational, and personal) that is created by YOU provided that production is not then sold or distributed as, or as a part of, a music collection or library. Use of this Music for mass-market retail or distribution requires a separate license that can be purchased by contacting Digital Juice, Inc at 1.800.525.2203 (US) or +1.352.369.0930 (International).".

What I'm concerned about is the last bit about mass-market retail. Does that mean, for instance, if the music is used in a distributed film, a seperate license is required? If not, any ideas what they're saying with that? (I'm no lawyer!)

Thanks in advance for any help here!
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That is EXACTLY what it means. Most buy-outs have certain restrictions, especially when it comes to feature length films. They all differ though, so you'll have to do your research. A google search under "roylaty free music library" is a good place to start. Most have downloadable samples.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Alvarez : That is EXACTLY what it means. Most buy-outs have certain restrictions, especially when it comes to feature length films. They all differ though, so you'll have to do your research. A google search under "roylaty free music library" is a good place to start. Most have downloadable samples. -->>>

Darn. I do a lot of productions that are planned for distribution. Any ideas on some good music libraries that don't have that kind of restriction?

Also, good music libraries for news themes? I do news prodution for a few stations, and one of them is looking for a new news theme. They can't afford original music, so I'm looking for some good buyout music for that.
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Eric,
ALL buyout libraries have their own contracts. You WILL have to read them and take note of them. You WILL have to listen to some samples to make up your mind. As I said, You can google a search. If you need a head start try freeplaymusic.com

good luck
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Major Player

The way I read the language, that is saying you can't mass market or redistribute the <i>music</i>. It seems a phone call would be in order.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:50 PM   #6
New Boot

Language

This is not legal advice, but I would agree that the language could be interpreted in two different ways.

"1. The Music may be used, altered, or incorporated according to the guidelines described herein into any production (including but not limited to, broadcast, commercial, industrial, educational, and personal) that is created by YOU provided that production is not then sold or distributed as, or as a part of, a music collection or library."

This portion seems clear at first. You can use it for anything once you buy it, except as a part of a music collection or library.

"Use of this Music for mass-market retail or distribution requires a separate license that can be purchased by contacting Digital Juice, Inc at 1.800.525.2203 (US) or +1.352.369.0930 (International)."

The problem arises here, and depends on what their definition of "mass-market retail or distribution" is.

The definition is dependent upon, among other things, industry standard definitions, whether their services/products are covered by the Uniform Commercial Code, what a reasonable buyer would take their words to mean... etc. etc.

Mass market retail and distribution or mass market retail and mass market distribution could mean either 1) such activities as to music collections and libraries, or 2) such activities as to any production (including but not limited to, broadcast, commercial, industrial, educational, and personal) , or 3) a third category of activities that digitaljuice fails to define in the four corners of their license.

If mass-market retail and distribution does cover the independent production of commercial films, then what does it mean in the first paragraph "The Music may be used, altered, or incorporated according to the guidelines described herein into any production ... including ... broadcast, [or] commercial?

Perhaps it is okay to use it for broadcast television, but not in a film intended to be distributed to motion picture theaters or DVD rental and sales outlets.

Unclear. I'd make a phone call. I'd be curious to know, as they have some killer stuff on their site. I'd never visited it until now.

Monty Markland
Monty Markland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: Language

<<<-- Originally posted by Monty Markland : I'd make a phone call. I'd be curious to know, as they have some killer stuff on their site. I'd never visited it until now.

Monty Markland -->>>

I called them up today. They told me that that confusing bit shouldn't even be in the license, because they get more questions about that than anything else! I asked about use in a feature film destined for national distibution (of course, that's being extremely optimistic, but better safe than sorry), and they said there's no problem there. I believe they said that that the "mass-market" bit is about use in CD collections, I'm not sure, but they said that any video project that contains the music will be fine, no matter what the distribution status is.

With that cleared up, I'll be buying BackTraxx within the next few days!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I would make sure they take it out of the contract if it shouldn't be there because if you sign the contract and it is there you are bound legally by it. We actually altered their contract to terms that better suited our company and had Backtraxx sign it when we bought our libraries.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite