Demo versions of Final Cut Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 10th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Trustee

Demo versions of Final Cut Pro?

Hi all. Well I've finally done it, and got myself a Mac (Mini) as a first step to being Wintel free. One thing I wanted to try though was FCP, but couldn't find any sort of demo version. Did I miss something?

Aaron
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't think you will find an FCP demo. (or at least I couldn't). However there is a free 30 day trial version of Motion here http://www.apple.com/motion/trial/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Aaron- the best deals on pro and express are on ebay - usually half price or less- Apples' pricing is ridiculous .I made the mistake of buying pro at retail and I'll never do that again. They're are ways to get express for free but , restrained by the rules of the forum, I can't post how. Use your imagination . good luck - Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ignoring the hints of Kurth...

If you know anyone who's in college or some other Apple certified institution, try to get them to buy it for you. Educational pricing on FCP HD is $349, if I'm not mistaken.
Xiaoli Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Major Player

It's not that bad. I mean, yeah, it costs more than say Premier or Vegas or one of those, but no more than Avid DV, and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

But no, there's no demo. That's not something that Apple does often. It's either free, or you have to pay through the nose for it, without much inbetween.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Major Player

I would be very leery about buying software from ebay, especially if it is that much less expensive. Apple (as well as most companies) has very strict guidelines for pricing and chances are if it's that cheap it's not legit.

I think the pricing is right in line with other comparable products. After all, this isn't a childs toy we're talking about. It is a "Professional" editing package with a lot of features.
Maybe you could cut your teeth on FCExpress and move up when you really need to, that would be a cheaper route. I believe they offer an upgrade path from FCE to FCP so it might benefit you in the long run.
Sometimes I really wish they had more demos as well but if you don't have much serious competition, you don't need to. There are enough articles and testimonials out there, they don't feel there is a reason to offer a demo of it. Arrogant yes, but none the less true.
I faced the same problem with Logic Pro but in that situation, Logic is worlds more complicated than FCP and I had NO idea how it would work. They still don't offer a Demo of that either, stinks!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #7
Major Player

First Xiaoli , I believe that solution , if the rules are to be followed , is also a no no.I don't believe ownership of academic versions is transferable. I think the academic price on pro is another $100 at $449 though. And for express it's $150 - a much more reasonable sum , if one knows a person eligible for academic discounts and willing. The products available on ebay are the real cup of soup . Some are new academic versions - I imagine people who can qualify for the discounts and then reselling . One is technically speaking supposed to also qualify in order to buy although the sellers never ask and one would be breaking the same law. Some are unopened, unregistered boxes sold by folks who simply never used them . Maybe some of them are hot - who's to know. If you want to be able to upgrade you need to buy an unregistered box. I think the logical buy is express - they're alot of folks who simply have the program and never use it due to it being given away in promotions. I believe you can resell and transfer ownership once. Express usually goes for about $150, which , coincidentally , is the same as academic pricing and , if it's a new unopened , unregistered program, then technically , it's legal and we all know how important that is. Sorry for the black humor , I just think Steve Jobs is far too rich already- and last week I sold all of my apple stock along with all of the big Apple execs !! Apple should have a free lite version like avid just to learn the interface but in this world we might as well wait for a blue moon. Boyd , I hope I didn't break any forum rules - I was biting my tongue all the way !! good luck
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #8
Trustee

Unfortunately my wife just finished her Masters degree, so she's not a student anymore ;)

One thing that I think companies should do, is offer cheaper, non commercial versions of their software, without having to be a student necessarily. I work in a non-profit (Not legally non-profit as it's almost impossible to get that status here in NZ for anything animal rights related) and I'd love to switch us over to Mac and FCP, but at those prices I can't justify it at all.

Aaron
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The educational discounts from most software companies, are often "Institutional" discounts as well... you just have to ask. This will sometimes cover churches, and non-profits. Takes a bit of time to talk to a rep. Can't hurt, might help.

Avid offers "FreeDV" for a download. Very stripped down version of Xpress, but it's a relatively new deal for them. Like FCP, they didn't offer any kind of trial demo until FreeDV came out. I think it was a smart move, give people a basic feel for the interface. What is it that drug dealers say? "The first one is free..."
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #10
Trustee

Richard, exactly. Sort of like my Mac Mini purchase. I wouldn't have gone out and just bought a full blown G5 or even an iMac, but could taste it with the cheapy Mac Mini. If I like it (And everything so far is saying I do), then my next full desktop will be a Mac.

Aaron
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #11
Wrangler

Yeah, good software can be expensive, which makes it tempting to go "grey market" or otherwise make/use illegal copies. Still, the right thing to do is to read and understand the license agreement before purchasing a license to use a copy of it, then abide by the agreement. Nobody likes their work stolen, no matter that someone else might think it is overvalued.

Aaron, best of luck finding a good and legal deal on Mac software that you can license.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #12
Major Player

If you're looking for a good deal on FCP, try purchasing an older version. These can be found, either old stock or used, for cheap. Here's a copy of FCP 2.0 for $145 (http://store.purplus.net/apficutpro2.html). Then just buy the upgrade. This is an easy (and 100% legal) way to get FCP 4.5 without spending the full amount. Also a good way to set up a second machine.

On the other hand, Apple's Pro Suite is a good way to go given the discount on the whole package. If you're serious about doing a good amount of work, its the route to go.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #13
Wrangler

This all gets rather complicated. "Purplus" really has no history of reviews at reselleratings.com, so you're taking a chance from the start. And you really don't know what you're going to get until it arrives either. A "used" copy might be one which somebody else has already upgraded.

If you really need the full version of FCP then buy it through an authorized dealer. As others have pointed out the price is reasonable (currently $887 at MacMall for example) considering what you're getting. If you can't afford the full version then Final Cut Express is only $300. If you're a legitimate student than discounts make either of these options even more affordable.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #14
Major Player

You may be right about Purplus, I have no prior experience with them, I only found them through dealmac.com. But, I have been in retail stores that see used macs that have used copies of FCP in stock (normally just the original CD's, manuals, and serials, no box) for about the same price.

I can only assume that some people purchase an upgrade for FCP when available, then turn around and sell the original. But as I see it, thats their probem, not mine, my end is legal.

Although I still think that Apples Pro Package is still the best deal and I wish that it was offered when I bought all my software.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite