DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 17th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Powered studio monitors w/ PowerMac G5

Hey everyone, just got a dual 2.5 powermac which will be specifically used just for editing HDV. The bank is almost busted after buying the tower, monitors, ram HD's etc but I decided that I would rather have some good (yet affordable) studio monitors then to buy a cheap set of computer speakers for the time being.

http://www.event1.com/Products/TR_Series/Tuned%20Reference.htm

I got a great deal on a pair of used Event PS6's. They are both self amplified and use 1/4 in jacks. I put an 1/8" converter on each cable and tried to run them into a Y splitter into the "headphone jack" (as tech support puts it) on the back of my G5.

Nothing :(

I can run 1 speaker just fine, but it seemingly cant handle two. I will test different hardware/adapaters etc but I am thinking this sound card was not meant to handle these two monitors.

Basically I am wondering if anyone knows of a fix, or failing that, a good sound card for my powermac.

Yes, I want to install protools and buy a good mixer/hardware etc, but my priorities are on other things right now. I dont want to drop the cash into an expensive hardware setup right now.

I am still unfamiliar with newer mac hardware, will I get by ok with some kind of simple, 2 channel PCI card? and if so, can anyone reccomend anything?

any help appreciated, thanks everyone :)
Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Contributor

First, make sure the G5 is working correctly by connecting a stereo headphone to the headphone connector. If you hear both channels, then you are having a problem with the cabling, not the Mac. If you only hear one channel then the Mac has a configuration problem or a faulty connector.
Old February 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I know it sounds stupid but make sure you are running the "correct" cables. You need a MONO 1/4" from the monitors to the splitter and you need a splitter that separates 1/8" STEREO into two 1/8" MONO signals. Most of the readily available splitters are from single stereo to dual stereo (so you can plug 2 sets of headphones into 1 outlet). Although, in theory, it should still work... I think.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yeah i am pretty sure that the on-board sound card will not work with these speakers.

I can run one fine (lol) but two seems to test whatever is on board.

Again, I am new to recent mac hardware. Is there not some kind of simple 2ch sound card avail for macs? I do want to go the protools/hardware route but just not right now.
Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Try the 1/8" jack on the front of the computer. That might be able to help rule out a bad connector on the back.

Mike.
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Major Player

It should be more than capable since they are self powered. There has to be another issue. I have a Klipsch 5.1 system plugged into my Dual G4 and it has 5 speakers and still only comes out of "one" headphone jack. I also have 2 Yamaha MSP5A Monitors that I can run from both my Powerbook or my desktop machine and neither computer has any problem at all. It just has to be connected correctly and the headphone jack has to be working. You might look in the sound control under "system preferences" and make sure it's set up correctly.
There are third party sound cards for the Mac for high end audio but you mentioned not wanting to go that route.
Just in case here are a couple
Echo Mia 24bit 2in/2out sound card
M-Audio Audiophile 192
M-Audio is part of Avid, they have some other really nice offerings as well.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #7
New Boot

I just bought a G5 and use self powered studio monitors. It works fine. In my instance I use a Radio Shack adapter -- 1/8" stereo to two phono jacks. Then I run phono connected wire to each monitor (they have XLR, 1/4-inch. or phono inputs).

It sounds like you should do as suggested above and check the headphone jack with headphones.

Have you checked the "dead" monitor by holding the 1/4-inch plug with your hand ("short" the hot and ground portions). You should hear a loud hum.

Also check if there is a level adjust -- on mine it's a small screwdriver adjustment on the back -- it could be turned down (doh!).

Keep us posted.
Gary Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

USB interface

Why not use a USB or firewire audio interface?

I use a tascam US-122 with my DP2.5 G5 and it sounds AMAZING. The sound it much better than you'll ever get out of the headphone jack. Not to mention once your ready to do Logic/Protools you'll have 24 bit i/o as well as midi i/o. The biggest thing is your outputting 24bit which sounds so much better than the internal sound card.

The kicker? it's only $200.

Well this is the system that works for me. But any usb/firewire audio interface would work. You could even go with the MAudio Fast Track USB for only $95.

Hope this helps, as I have a very simlair set-up.
Thanks,
Eric James
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #9
Major Player

I use self-powered Behringer monitors that are connected to my G5 via a mini stereo plug to RCA adapter. I have a Rolls transformer that converts "conusmer" level to "pro" level balanced XLR outputs that I use to connect the speakers. This works great for me.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite