DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Saving Pictures To Hard Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/39727-saving-pictures-hard-drive.html)

Mike DelliSanti February 18th, 2005 08:04 AM

Saving Pictures To Hard Drive

Hi I just got my G5 last week and I'm new to FCP.
I have a bunch of pictures that I want to save to my hard drive as Jpegs so I can edit them in FCP. Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Mike Delli Santi

Shane Ross February 18th, 2005 01:09 PM

Digital camera pics? iPhoto. Or using your flash media reader, just drag the pics from the card into a new folder, then import the folder into FCP.

Mike DelliSanti February 18th, 2005 02:26 PM

Hi Shane. What I meant was I have physical pictures that you can touch and feel on paper. The way I used to do it on Canopus was to open the log & capture window and save each one as a still image to the appropriate folder. I guess I'll have to hook up a digital still camera, take a snapshot , then import into iPhoto, then import into FCP ?

Thanks.
Mike Delli Santi

Shane Ross February 18th, 2005 02:38 PM

Or buy a scanner. The scanner would be your best bet.

How would you do this with the canopus? How would the Canopus see your physical picture?

Boyd Ostroff February 18th, 2005 02:57 PM

I think he might mean that he used a video camera to shoot the paper photos, then captured still frames from that. You could do the same thing with your DV camera using a firewire hookup. Of course the resolution will be limited to 720x480, but depending on what you're doing this might be fine.

Mike DelliSanti February 18th, 2005 03:49 PM

That's right Boyd. I had a video camera on a copy stand connected to the pc via firewire and captured them one by one as a still image onto the hard drive. I guess you can't do that with FCP which is fine I'll do what Shane suggested and just replace the video camera with a digital still camera or a scanner.

Thanks for the swift reply guys.

Boyd Ostroff February 18th, 2005 04:01 PM

Well I don't think you can directly capture a still image in FCP (actually I've never tried), but you could capture very short clips from your camera, like a second or so. Then after capturing you can go to File > Export > Quicktime > Still Image and save in any file format you like. Or you could just drop the clips into your timeline and turn them into freeze frames of any desired duration.

Another option would be to do the capture from your video camera via firewire using BTV Pro. This is an inexpensive shareware program that does a lot of useful things, including still captures, hard drive recording, time lapse and it can serve as a video monitor.

Mike DelliSanti February 18th, 2005 08:57 PM

Thanks Boyd. I'll check those options out.
Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I can help you out someday.